General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

need a bit of advice on 1 yr old labrador

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 16 Jun 2004 18:44

hi i have a one year old labrador he is perfect never messed or chewed hes brilliant with kids very loving dog but when me or the hubby take him for walks he pulls like something possesed my two sons have refused to take him for walks now i hoped he would grow out of it but he is getting worse he does have a lot of exercise i dont know what else to do any ideas? xx

Dedrah

Dedrah Report 16 Jun 2004 18:50

Hi Jayne/ Try obedience classes it amazing what they can do. We took our 8 year old dog with her pup and the mum did really well proving that you can reach an old dog new tricks. Honestly I am serious, but couldn't resist that last comment. Dedrah

Margaret

Margaret Report 16 Jun 2004 18:55

Hi Jayne Having been the owner of two golden labradors we had the same problem Sam no 1 went to classes no way was he going to be told how to not pull he grew out of it when he was three years old, Sam no 2 was a good as gold no pulling right from the start he was a very laid back gentle labrador and he did not go to puppy walking classes, From Margaret

Jayne

Jayne Report 16 Jun 2004 19:54

Thank you for your replys i will have to get the hubby to take Barney to a class i think that will be the only option left we have tried him with a choker for a week or so even that did not stop him even though he was gasping for breath not very nice i know .I even had someone tell me to hit him no way could i do that he is such a lovely dog i just think he gets excited and he knows where he is going and takes me with him lol.xx

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 16 Jun 2004 20:03

Get a small water pistol from a toy shop and everytime he pulls give him a squirt and say NO! firmly to surprise him into pausing. Stand still for a few seconds before starting to walk forward again. He should eventually associate the mild unpleasantness of the squirt and NO! with doing something wrong, and most dogs want to please their owners! Don't forget to praise him when he does what you want him to! Most labs are very food orientated so a treat when he does well would help emphasise your point! Dee X

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 20:10

jayne,he sounds like a very happy dog,who is just getting over excited,at being taken for a walk...but i wonder how you are holding his lead,the best way to hold him back,is to walk him on your left,with the lead going accross,your body,and held in the right hand...with your left hand you gently hold him back to heel...either way,an expert would soon sort it out for you...have fun....bryan.

Alison

Alison Report 16 Jun 2004 20:25

Jayne, We have the same problem with our 3 year old labrador. We use a "halti" which makes him slightly more manageable. The vet told us to growl at him - this seems to have some effect! Good luck, Alison

Jayne

Jayne Report 16 Jun 2004 21:10

lol i think i will try the water pistol later when i take him out he loves swimming but as soon as i get the hose pipe out he runs for cover very good idea as for the growling i do that every time i take him out lol xx

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 16 Jun 2004 21:30

My mother was a kennel maid at Walthamstow for years so I was bought up knowing how to 'walk' a dog, until we got our border collie! Pulled like made, tried pistol, yanking, halter nothing! then Mum suggested putting the lead under right front leg for a while. Obviously holding the lead as Brian said and the dog on your left (which is where they should be walking anyway) Sucsess, only had to it for a few walks, he did not like it. Kim

Jayne

Jayne Report 16 Jun 2004 21:44

i am going to try all of these very good ideas out god knows what my neighbours will think lol going out with water pistol and lead under leg while growling at him theres going to be some curtain twichers around here lol.My brother is looking after him in six weeks when we go on holiday so i will give Barney some intense therapy with these excellent ideas.I am feeling really optimistic now thank you to you all xxx

Chris

Chris Report 17 Jun 2004 06:32

Hi Jayne, I'm with all the others that suggested a Halti. They are just great. All it does is control the head so you don't have the full strength of the dog pulling you along. We have a very large Weimaraner and that's the only way I can take him out and I run with him. I think chokers are cruel because they do almost strangle a dog when you are trying to get it to heel. A halti is just made out of a webbing material that just goes over the nose and clips on around the side of the head and is attached to the lead - so when the dog pulls his nose goes down - no pain for you or the dog.