General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am I wrong???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 17 Jun 2004 01:41

I've only recently started researching my tree, but my 9 yr old has pointed out that I am, in fact, researching my mother's adoptive parents' lines. I told her thats because my grandparents, even though they hadn't given birth to my mum, were still 'my' grandparents....theirs were the only family I knew, I loved them to bits, I mourned them when they died, I even named my daughter after my nana! I know my mum would like me to be able to trace her natural mother at some point, but I can't see that happening soon (she has never applied for her original birth certificate, so has zero information to go on, apart from her date of birth and the fact that she was born and adopted in Wales!!) Maybe when I am more experienced I will be able to look at that side of things, but am I so wrong to claim my nana and grandad's ancestors as mine??

Russell

Russell Report 17 Jun 2004 06:47

Sarah, I think it is wonderful what you are doing - there is certainly nothing wrong with it. It shows how much you love your grandparents - keep up the good work :-) :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jun 2004 06:58

No - you're right :) I'm adopted and have been tracing my adoptive family tree for years - although I'm not genetically descended from them, my wonderful family are:) David

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Jun 2004 07:26

Hi Sarah no its not wrong to trace your adopted side of the family, they are your family, anyone can make a child, but a special person to be a parent. good luck in your search sandra

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 17 Jun 2004 07:46

hi sarah no your not wrong good luck with your research tina x

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 17 Jun 2004 08:04

If you feel it is right then that is all that matters. As for your adopted family, how lovely for them for you to feel that way. It is your way of acknowledging how much the family mean to you and I hope they are all walking around with big grins on their faces. Good luck Jacky :-)

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 Jun 2004 09:14

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone for your wonderful comments of support. My daughter is delightfully logical for her age (one day when I eventually trace our birth lines maybe I'll find out where she gets her brains from!! lol) but children do have a way of making you question yourselves. I feel happier knowing that tracing my family through adoptive lines is just as valid as tracing the birth lines...mine, and my mum's, childhood memories are coming to life on my tree! Your replies have put into words exactly what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure how to say it. Thank you again Sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jun 2004 09:31

Hi Sarah I'm adopted and I've taken on the huge task of doing both lines!! I want to do my adoptive tree because they are my parents and the family to which I belong, but I also want to do my birth tree because of the 'blood' link. What I've actually done is two separate logins on GC so that I can keep track easily, and I'm very methodical - I think you have to be with so many people involved - and do a generation at a time on each line. Do whatever's right for you! Good luck, love Mandy :)

Ann

Ann Report 18 Jun 2004 12:12

My grandad was my 'step' grandad, but he brought my mum up, and he loved her and us as much as any blood grandad could. I would not dream of leaving him off my family tree!!!