General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genealogy Software Packages - any suggestions?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Jun 2004 11:34

Hi there! I'm after a really good, easy to use, easy to install family tree software package for my pc. There are so many different packages around now and you could spend a fortune on magazines researching all the options. So, I thought I'd ask the experts instead - that's you lot by the way!!! Any recommendations would be most welcome. Many thanks, Viki

June

June Report 17 Jun 2004 12:00

Hi Viki I use PAF5 which I downloaded free from the Latter Day Saints Site, I find it very easy to use.

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 17 Jun 2004 12:55

I use PAF (Personal Ancestral File) as well. It does everything I need it to do and was free!

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jun 2004 13:15

I also use PAF 5, which is free and pretty good, only thing is I wanted better print options, so I also installed WinTREE Just to muddy the water a bit.. I also have a second PC where I keep a erad only version of my data (a GED file exported from PAF 5), and I view this using GenViewer Lite.

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Jun 2004 14:09

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. Your advice is much appreciated. Regards, Viki

Angela

Angela Report 17 Jun 2004 18:19

I've got family tree maker version 11. I bought the basic package - ie just the program disk without the various data disks (which are anyway aimed at the American market). It is very, very easy to use and does everything I want it to. Angela

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 17 Jun 2004 19:54

Hi, I have just got Family Tree version 4. It is not bad but have been using free downloaded Legacy which i have found to be basic but very good. I will probably run both but enter most on legacy. Hope this helps, Viv.