General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rabbits, Pigs and Poultry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 17 Jun 2004 15:12

My Gran who once lived on a farm used to sing a song that went something like - I've rabbits, pigs and poultry and goats I've 24 I've dogs and cats and horses and sheep I've 20 score..... Can anyone enlighten me as to its origins or add to the snippet I remember? xxDave

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jun 2004 15:31

I will be keeping an eye on this one ... since I have 3 horses, 1 cat, 2 guinnea Pigs, 9 rabbits and two kids ..I would love to know the whole verse !! ... never heard of this one before..!! LoL Elaine :-))

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 18 Jun 2004 21:14

nudge for the weekend viewers

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Jun 2004 07:43

Not too sure, but it sounds like a "parody" to " Rock island line",sung by Lonnie Donnegan in the early sixties/late fifties.? but which came first? Grans song, or Lonnies?

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 19 Jun 2004 10:37

Sorry Bob, The song was sung to me in the fifties and the tune was something like I've got heartaches by the number, heartaches by the score, remember the one? Dave

Bob

Bob Report 19 Jun 2004 11:15

This is a bit of a challenge - especially since I have a vague memory of it too. I found this which I thought was good: The horse and mule live thirty years And nothing know of wines and beers. The goat and sheep at twenty die And never taste of Scotch or Rye. The cow drinks water by the ton And at eighteen is mostly done. The dog at fifteen cashes in Without the aid of rum and gin. The cat in milk and water soaks And then in twelve short years it croaks. The modest, sober, bone-dry hen Lays eggs for nogs, then dies at ten. All animals are strictly dry: They sinless live and swiftly die; But sinful, ginful rum-soaked men Survive for three score years and ten. And some of them, a very few, Stay pickled till they're ninety-two. Anon Will keep looking

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 20 Jun 2004 20:08

Looks like I might live to be a hundred and ten then Dave