General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

our turfs have died:(

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 21 Jun 2004 18:47

please can somebody tell us why our new grass turfs have died? we watered them constantly and also added miracle grow lol but theyve still died. weve now got a beautiful brown lawn surrounded with flower beds lol any suggestions as im feeling really upset about it. susie

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 Jun 2004 18:51

HI SUSIE my lawn is brown in large patches to, its an old lawn, the sun has been so hot its scorched, have faith it might recover, alot of the lawns are the same by me. it happened last year and soon recovered after a couple of good downpoors. sandra

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 21 Jun 2004 18:54

hi sandra thankyou for that,i thought that i had killed it lmao i should have thought of that but my brain seems to be on a go slow at the moment lol susie

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 21 Jun 2004 18:56

Hi Susie The same thing happened to me a few years ago, brand new turf looking all dead but I left the sprinkler on it for a few days and it picked up. Dont worry it'll be fine. Sheila x

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 21 Jun 2004 18:59

linda and sheila and phillip thank goodness for that lol hubby is at the point of despair , hes even threatening to dig it all up and lay slabs!!! lol i will let you know how we get on thanks everso much for putting my mind at rest praps we shouldnt have been so eager in feeding it lol susie

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 21 Jun 2004 19:44

Susie, I'm pretty sure it will recover. Tell Terry not to despair, just keep watering if it doesn't get a daily soaking. It will still have some strong roots. Love, Elisabeth xx

Jean

Jean Report 21 Jun 2004 20:07

dont worry about it dont get walking on it a drop of rain and it will soon come back to life mine is all brown at the moment

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jun 2004 20:17

Susie and Terry - oh dear - read the message and thought -Sod's law but thought better not say that as someone would grass me up. You know what its like with law'n' order these days - I would be put out to pasture

John

John Report 21 Jun 2004 21:38

TURF, water/spike it with a folk up and down/roll it/ then cut it. then start over again, even old medow turf will come back. no need for these garden centre lawn feeds, never let it dry out, ok. regards john.

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 21 Jun 2004 21:57

elisabeth thankyou ,terry is feeling better now lol she lol!!! john have you got a roller lol susie

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jun 2004 22:18

Hi Susie, we've just paid an obscene amount of money to have our smallish back garden redesigned. It's beautiful ... except for the poorly brown half-bald lawn!!!! Although it's mostly the original lawn, the gardeners were traipsing all over it in their hobnail boots, but they've assured me that it will recover. I tend to believe them, they were good at their job! Fingers crossed for you, me and everyone else with brown lawns LOL. Mandy :)

T J

T J Report 21 Jun 2004 22:34

Hi Susie When a new lawn is laid it needs to be well watered without overdoing it - (not squelchy and spongy) Instead of feeding it miracle gro try Tomato food as this is high in Nitrogen (needed for the Blades of grass) and high in phosphorus (needed for strong root development). Hope you are well Love Tracy

John

John Report 21 Jun 2004 23:18

no susie its a mini cooper lol lol

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 21 Jun 2004 23:35

WATER it! DONT dig it up. WATER it, dont FEED it. WATER it. DONT WALK on it .WATER it. DONT even Think of cutting it for at least 2 months............WATER it! and Finally Be PATIENT!!!!!

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 21 Jun 2004 23:40

Hi Susie, I've got a nice green lawn with a big baldy patch in the middle where the kids swings were (they are now gone). My dad assures me that if i sprinkle grass seed on it it will be filled in by next spring. I have my doubts but I will take his word for it as he's been gardening for donkeys years. I'm sure yours will recover too. Sheila

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 22 Jun 2004 22:59

Hi Susie Your lawn should feel much better tomorrow, after all this rain. Re advice to use roller: if you must, use a light one but they usually do more harm than good. Were the turves in good condition when hubby laid them? Very often suppliers store them too long before sale. Regards len

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Jun 2004 23:46

You should see the grass in South Africa! its only green in winter..........so i have been told!