General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My computer's having a nervous breakdown!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sand

Sand Report 24 Jun 2004 22:12

I give up! Just tried to join the two letter quiz--I kept entering stuff and it wouldn't go in then I saw it went in 3 times! By that time, the quiz had moved on anyway! My keys keep getting stuck, my email's down, my printer's on the fritz....life was so much easier when we used smoke signals!

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jun 2004 22:17

Sally, have you been pressing 'latest reply' only now it's longer than 20 pages that's the only way you can see what you've entered. Mandy :)

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 24 Jun 2004 22:19

Sally, Mines having a hissy fit too, just because I installed a printer! If it doesn't sort itself its outa the window!!!!! LOL Viv.

Sand

Sand Report 24 Jun 2004 22:38

Yes Mandy, I did. I had a suspicion it was slow yesterday, but that just proved it! I'm going to join Viv at the window! Scanner may be on it's way too--it's gone out on strike in sympathy!

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jun 2004 22:45

Sally, sorry you're still having probs. My hubby works in IT and says that the definition of 'Windows' is what you throw the computer out of when you're annoyed with it LOL

Angela

Angela Report 24 Jun 2004 22:53

Mine broke down a month ago. Fixed now, but still sulking. I haven't dared reinstall the scanner. Angela

badger

badger Report 25 Jun 2004 08:43

,i spent a whole day trying to add a printer to my puter ,getting madder , and madder until a little bit of writing caught my eye[this printer is not compatible with windows xp]so i took the lexmark back to argos and got an epson instead,which works great. my face was red for days [not the sunburn] Fred.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 25 Jun 2004 11:11

Marion, Can I join you for a breakdown? Viv.

Philip

Philip Report 25 Jun 2004 11:19

Fred, you're dead right over the Windows XP compatibility issue! I installed XP some two years ago, in order to be able to use Messenger with webcam etc to talk to Paula's son, who'd got it on their computer. All the preipherals went doolalley! Ended up having to replace the printer, scanner, virus protection etc etc, cost over £400 eventually. Found myself in a "Bermuda triangle" of MIcrosoft, PC World and the peripheral manufacturer. So nowadays, whenever I buy any new equipment, I always check it's XP compatible. It usually is, but tekkie nerds never tell you anything unless you ask!!! Grrrr! Philip

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 25 Jun 2004 16:33

I was about to install the black ink cartridge for my Epson C44UX Printer which Argos lists as the replacement and guess what? It is the wrong one,****! Now I've got to go and change it after I've given them a flea in their ear. Grrrrrrr!!! :-( Viv.

badger

badger Report 25 Jun 2004 16:43

If youv,e had all that bother ,and had to replace major parts like that Margaret,i, would be asking myself it was a computer fault at all.You arn,t by any chance running with an unprotected power supply are you ? cause it sounds as though you are getting surges from the mains.If i,m right ,you can buy a surge protection extension for a few pounds that will stop this happening..Hope you are sorted now either way.Fred.