General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pots and Pans etc.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Jun 2004 07:21

Is there anyone else who has some 'old favourites' lurking in the kitchen cupboard or are you one of the everything-must-match brigade? I still use some saucepans bought many years ago from an army-surplus sale even though I also have some better looking modern ones.

Sandra

Sandra Report 25 Jun 2004 07:26

HI GWYNETH i have le creuset saucepans and have been using them for 15yrs, best set i ever brought. they don't match anything else in the kitchen but i won't part with them. sandra

Lynda

Lynda Report 25 Jun 2004 07:29

Like you Gwneth, I have an odd assortment. Ever since I have been to frightened to use the pressure cooker, I use to constantly as an ordinary pan, I have a small stainless steel pan with two handles and use a frying pan especially for curries. Keep thinking about buying a set, and then think why? I am managing as I am. Lynda

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 25 Jun 2004 08:25

Bought a set of 4 Prestige stainless steel pans about 18 years ago and they're still going strong! Also have odds and ends - some Le Creuset, tefal etc. Would not swap for something more 'modern'!

June

June Report 25 Jun 2004 08:34

I have old favourites in the back of the cupboard. Over the years I have bought matching pans, only for them to be past their best in no time at all and out come the old favourites again.

badger

badger Report 25 Jun 2004 08:52

We have a set of stainless steel pans in the rack,you know the ones,with glass lids ,wev,e had them four years and havn,t used them once.The old ones ,two sets are still going strong ,one set swan ,the other prestige ,both around twenty years old, So who bought the new ones ,the missis ,cause they looked nice?Fred.

Mags

Mags Report 25 Jun 2004 09:31

I've got a one of those 'pot for everything' stainless steel sets and use all of them on a regular basis. I also have a 'waterless steamer' that I inherited from my Gran and use it without all it's racks and things for big stews,soups and stock. She's been dead for 30 years so it could be between 30 - 50 years old.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 25 Jun 2004 13:26

I've got a big jam making pan, an old table spoon and a knife that were all passed down to me from my Mum. They were passed to her from her Mum. Don't know if they were new then or if they were passed down. The jam pan comes in handy at Christmas for cooking my big piece of ham in. I don't have any kitchen scales so always use the table spoon for measuring things. And the knife is my hubbys favourite bread buttering knife. They certainly made things to last in the old days! Jeanette

Lindy

Lindy Report 25 Jun 2004 14:10

I still have the same set of pots and pans that I bought twenty seven years ago. They are called "Nutri Stahl" (I think) and were so expensive that I had to pay they off with six post dated cheques. During the years I have added Portuguese ceramic pots to my collection for oven cooking and a number of cast iron pots for old fashioned stews. Lindy;-)

Philip

Philip Report 27 Jun 2004 00:24

I'm still using a set of saucepans that my wife & I had as wedding presents 16 years ago. Knowing my Aunty & Uncle who gave them, they would have been an expensive set. We use older ones as well. But alas, a cheaper set that we had as wedding presents too bit the dust a long time ago. Going to church and leaving the carrots on didn't help at all. The water had all gone by the time we came back. If fact the knob on the lid, and the handle had gone too, and most of the non-stick coating. Thankfully the dog survied the smoke & the the awful smell!

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jun 2004 08:36

Can someone explain the meaning of the word 'saucepan' as it doesn't seem to be in my vocabulary? Or maybe it's that set of three green things with handles and lids sitting on the kitchen shelf that I dust regularly? Mandy (aka Undomestic Goddess) :))