General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GREAT FIRE LONDON on last night

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jun 2004 18:17

ITS ON 7.30PM CHANNEL 4 LAST WEEK WAS THE PLAGUE AND VERY INFORMATIVE. SANDRA

syljo

syljo Report 26 Jun 2004 18:18

Can't get Channel 4, only BBC 1 and 2.

badger

badger Report 26 Jun 2004 18:20

thanks for that sandra ,missed last week cause i didn,t know it was on,but will be watching tonight,it HAS to be more exiting than most haunted lol Fred.

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jun 2004 18:26

FRED LAST WEEKS WAS GREAT SHAME YOU MISSED IT, I KNEW THE RATS CARRIED THE PLAGUE, BUT I NEVER REALISED IT WAS THE FLEA BITES THAT PASSED IT ON TO HUMANS, JUST GOES TO SHOW YOUR NEVER TO OLD TO SUCK EGGS. ENJOY TONIGHTS SANDRA

Lynda

Lynda Report 26 Jun 2004 19:03

Sandra, I am going to make sure I watch it. I thought last week on the Plague was excellent. I think you and I left a thread at the same time to watch it!!! Lynda xxx

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jun 2004 19:05

WE CERTAINLY DID I'M READY FOR THE OFF, ON 1 WATCHING THE OLYPIMC FLAME AND MUSIC AT THE MOMENT WELL SORT OF SANDRA

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 26 Jun 2004 19:11

It was really good last week. So clever how they compiled those stories from parish records.... and fabricated some I'm guessing. My ancestors were in London at the time of the Great Fire and Plague (well I think they were, have them there in 1680 or so), and it must have been so scary to have two dreadful things so close together. Chloe

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2004 19:43

Just watching it. The commentator said it was a major event in OUR history. At the time the population of London was about 300,000, and the population of England ony about 4,500,000. To my mind, the majority of the people of England today probably had no contact with this country 350 years ago. Please don't take this wrongly, it is not a criticism, merely a Social Observation. Jim

Lynda

Lynda Report 26 Jun 2004 20:51

Good program, but I didn't think it was as well presented as last weeks plague I have to feel a bit sorry for the Baker. Imagine being responsible for burning down almost all of London, how embarrassing is that!!!!!

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 26 Jun 2004 20:54

I know what you mean a good load of my ancestors weren't in England at the time, but I think what the bloke meant was that it was a big moment in British (our) history seeing as though most of us consider ourselves British etc. It was a repeat though.... I'd already seen it. Preferred the Plague one. Chloe

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jun 2004 13:13

hi everyone thanks for your comments, i agree the plague one was better,but the fire was still informative, it seemed strange that the population was so small, compared to todays, i'm looking forward to next weeks, i enjoy history and it just keeps the old grey matter on the go. i shall watch the archaoelogy tonight at 8pm, it so makes a change from foooootie which i loathe, and the soaps that you can pick up a couple of weeks down the line. have a great day sandra

Fairy

Fairy Report 27 Jun 2004 13:18

Thank you Sandra, I did'nt realise it was on. I really enjoy historical things. (Thank you for your kind reply to 'opps I've done it again)