General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royalty

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 26 Jun 2004 18:54

There's this lady up the road, Karina, an Australian.... Dad and I are in contact with her sister Steph in Australia. I asked Steph is she wanted me to find some of her ancestors. She said her aunt had done some of her tree. I've added a few bits. But when I was looking at it..... she's descended from Henry VII!! It gets better than that. She is descended from Catherine Grey (Lady Jane Grey's sister), who had two sons, Edward and Thomas Seymour. Thomas is Steph great great whatever grandfather, but his brother..... his brother is an ancestor of the friggin' Queen!!! She's related to the Queen! I'm so jealous. Mine are a bunch of paupers, mostly in London.... and hers.... Gawd!!! Any one else related to royalty? Chloe

Daniel

Daniel Report 26 Jun 2004 18:59

Its only the Queen. I doubt she'll get invited round for a family reunion. I'm happy with my farm labouers, Tailors, Publicans and general common folk.

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jun 2004 19:03

CHLOE HOW NICE OF YOU TO SHARE THIS, I'VE NOT CONNECTED TO ANYONE FAMOUS OR INFAMOUS YET, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW HAPPY HUNTING SANDRA

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 26 Jun 2004 19:05

I'm happy with mine too. There's something real to it. But when it's the Queen.... there's just something magical about it, you know? Chloe

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 26 Jun 2004 19:08

Neither am I, Sandra. Well.... a second cousin (I think) was an artist and went out with Julie Christie in the 60s, even have a picture of them two at the Oscars, but we already knew about that! Never met him though, he died. My best friend is descended from a geologist who is mentioned in the Natural History Museum... Francis Bather, and also related to Swedish artist Carl Larsson. Chloe

Angela

Angela Report 26 Jun 2004 19:27

Just identified a very distant potential link to royalty in my family. Not saying too much as I need to verify it but could link me to the future king rather than current queen. Came completely out of the blue as most of my relatives were ag labs, gardeners of carpenters. So there's hope for you yet. Angela

Philip

Philip Report 29 Jun 2004 11:28

Hello Chloe, Have only just come across your thread. Sorree..... Just to add to the pot, my Welsh family sprawled all over the place, and got involved with a number of other families (all the daughters, you know! lol!). Anyway, one distant cousin did some TV acting and married Clive Dunn of "Dad's Army" fame. Another second cousin (afraid I've never met him) is Piers Morgan, late editor of the Daily Mirror. Going back a bit, my oldest known ancestor (died 1763) is supposed to have built the Devil's Bridge at Aberystwyth, while another distant rellie in the late 19th century married the daughter of the guy who was engineer (whatever that means) for the Tower Bridge. His father in turn was supposed to be the guy who designed the rebuilt House of Commons in 1852 after it was destroyed by fire. (Funny how I'm not much good at DIY, mustn't run in the genes! lol!) Moving to another branch, a daughter in the early 20th century married then guy who became King George V's neurosurgeon. After all that, it's a real relief to sink back into anonymity! (Remember the 14th Earl and the 14th Mr Wilson? lol!) Philip

Zoe

Zoe Report 29 Jun 2004 12:26

Phillip Hope you see this reply. My newspaper ran an article fairly recently on the two architects who designed the Palace of Westminster following the fire in 1834 (we were comparing it to the debacle of Holyrood). We had pictures I'm sure - I'm trying to track down a date when we published it and get a copy for you if you'd be interested - email me and let me know Zoe

Bob

Bob Report 29 Jun 2004 12:45

Yes ! ... No ? ... Maybe, "Cum - very large - Grano Salis" ! The Royal (Habsburg) Connection: From my maternal grandmother (she was hungarian) we have the following story ... A female of the family was a Lady in Waiting at the spanish court. She had an affair with a 'Royal' there and had a child, born 'on the wrong side of the blanket'. She was sent home in disgrace (to Hungary ?, Austria ?, it was probably all Habsburg, then). So I may be an illegitimate Habsburg ! But: HABSBURG, SCHMABSBURG, KING DAVID RULES, OK ! If you think that was something, wait till you hear this ! In the Jewish Encyclopedia from 1904, Vol 8 p327 there is a family tree of Samuel Margolioth (1550). (http://www.jewishencyclopedia(.)com/view.jsp?artid=186&letter=M&search=margolioth) Among jews it is the big thing to claim descent from one of the famous rabbis or torah scholars. One of the most famous of these was Rabbi Shlomo ben Yitskhak (1040-1105), usually known as Rashi. The Margolioth family is said to be descended from Rashi. There also exists a large body of scholarship, proving or disproving, that Rashi was descended from King David ! If anybody is interested in this sort of stuff, there is plenty to read on this subject on the Internet: see: "Can We Prove Descent from King David ?" by David Einsiedler (http://www.jewishgen.org/Rabbinic/journal/descent.htm) and: The Rashi Descent (http://www.jewishgen.org/rabbinic/infofiles/rashi.htm) The last descendant in this Margolioth family tree is Ephraim Zalman Margolioth (1762-1828). We have a family tree of the Margulies, which starts with a photocopy of the Margolioth family tree, and is then continued, hand-drawn, from Ephraim Zalman through Elyakim Getzel Margolis and my G-grandfather, Moritz Margulies, to my mother. Nobody knows whether the link from Moritz Margulies to Ephraim Zalman is confirmed or not. But, if you accept that Moritz Margulies was descended from Ephraim and if you believe that Samuel Margolioth was descended from Rashi and if you believe that Rashi was descended from King David, .... then we have another(!) connection to a royal family, compared to whom, the Habsburgs were mere "Johnny-Come-Latelys" ! The mind boggles ! Having said all that, I must add, that our known family history says that we were all quite normal common-day folk !

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jun 2004 18:14

Not wanting to take anyway any of the fun/glory guys, but dont you feel as you go back in time searching that at some point we are all related anyway!! Think the Adam and Eve stuff more than a fairy story. In my line I find a guy who sold Islington in the 12th century - oh my god, I could be a billionaire! But I think if we all go back far enough we would link up.