General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UPDATE - Sharing Good News

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 27 Jun 2004 16:40

I can hardly believe how lucky I am at the moment but having joined a mailing list for Dumfries yesterday, I had a response this morning from another distant relative searching for Lockharts there. Turns out we share my Grt Grt Grt Grt Grandparents!! I've suddenly got another whole pile of branches of the tree to add besides new rellies lol. Lou I am just so pleased I had to share with everyone lol. I had an unexpected email a couple of days ago from someone who had seen a post I'd put on Genforum months ago. I'd never really expected any response but was "making use of all available resources" at the time. It turns out that the lady who mailed me is married to my second cousin and has been tracing the Lockhart family tree far longer than I have. I've now solved the mystery of how my family arrived on Skye and where we originated. She's filled in so many gaps and dates for me that I'm suffering with information overload. I've had no contact with my Dad's family for over 8 years now so this has been a blessing in more ways than one as she was able to give me news of my Grandma (my only living Grandparent now) who is about to turn 90 yrs on Wednesday this week. I'm so happy I had to tell everyone. I've read other folks success stories and never dreamed it could happen to me. :):):) So if it hasn't happened to you yet... chin up... it probably will eventually!!! Lou

Abigail

Abigail Report 27 Jun 2004 16:42

Fantastic news - you must be revelling in not just the new information but the real contact too. I am very happy for you - enjoy Regards Abigail

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Jun 2004 16:47

Lousia the same thing happened to me in May of this year the lady i am in contact with now is my grandfathers sisters daughter and she thought the same as me that all our relis were dead and she was having problems finding anyone so i know how you feel its so exciting Margaret

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 27 Jun 2004 16:48

Hi Louse, that's great news. Haven't seen you on the boards for a while, glad to see you back.. Where in Skye are your family from? Mine are Duirinish and Kilmuir Christine

Fairy

Fairy Report 27 Jun 2004 16:50

How lovely for you. I'm so pleased. Jo x

Lynda

Lynda Report 27 Jun 2004 16:54

Louise that's fantastic, really pleased for you. Just goes to show if you keep plodding away at it, something happens out of the blue. Lynda xx

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 27 Jun 2004 17:38

Hi Lou: What fantastic news! Someone contacted me after I posted with Rootsweb -- isn't it exciting when that happens? I share your grandmother's birthday and wish her a very happy one! Have fun filling in the gaps with your new information!!

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 27 Jun 2004 17:59

louise im really so happy for you to makes allthe hard work worth while doesnt it :0))))))) tina xxx

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jun 2004 18:09

hi louise i'm so pleased for you, i've been on so many sites searching today i've got lost,my head is spinning, and still none the wiser, how i wish i'd only married once 2 sets of kids so different directions, oh well at least someones had a good day happy hunting all sandra

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jun 2004 19:09

Fantastic news Lou! Glad you shared it with us, it's nice to hear a happy story. I can imagine your excitement! Mandy :)

Julie

Julie Report 27 Jun 2004 20:02

What lovely news. I've been contacted twice and they had both done a lot more research than I had so that was great. Also one of them had a photo of my great great grandma and as I had never met my great grandma it was great to see how see may have looked. Regards Julie

Louise

Louise Report 29 Jun 2004 00:06

Thanks everyone, it is really great. Appreciate your kind thoughts. I just don't know what to do with the information but still can't get it all fast enough lol. Christine, my Skye forebears are from Creggan, Ebost and Blagown in Bracadale Parish and Snizort mainly with some births registered to Portree. Its hard to differentiate where they stayed from places that are simply meant as registration districts. Starting to get there now though :):). Turns out all of the Lockharts on Skye are my ancestors lol which is really cool and makes the researching much simpler.... after all, doesn't matter who they are, they fit in somewhere!!! What names are you researching there? I ask because there are other family names through marriages, like MacRae that I'm looking into. Lou

Louise

Louise Report 17 Jul 2004 12:59

updating original message

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 17 Jul 2004 17:16

How lovely, are you able to meet up with your Grandma? News like this makes us all want to plod on! Hope the rest of us get a break through soon!!!!!! Linda x