General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christian names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Jun 2004 19:59

I'm always interested in how parents choose the christian names for their kids!! What are yours called and why? Mine are: Ioan Tindall - Ioan is my hubbie's grandad who is Romanian, Tindall was my great great grandad! William Paul - Half the men in my family are called William including my 2 grandads, and Paul is my Dad. Emma Lucianna - Emma was my sister who died 3 months after the birth of my Emma and My hubby is Lucian so we just feminised it. Antonia Joan - Antonia after a favorite uncle Tony of mine and Joan is my Mum's middle name!! Living in France, it wasn't always easy to find names that were easy to pronounce in both languages!!

Sue

Sue Report 27 Jun 2004 20:16

My Mum always thought when she had a daughter she would name her Susan - and she did! My brother, Iain, was named after a Scottish serviceman that Mum worked with in WW2. Mum just happened to marry a Canadian soldier with the same surname as the Scottish serviceman so she had to give my brother the same Christian name! My elder son, Matthew, was named by my Mum. I was so convinced he was a girl, that we had no boys names at all and when Mum suggested Matthew we agreed! My elder daughter is Kathryn Jane, just because we like the names,although she has always been known as Katie! (Strangely, unbeknown to either of us, a second cousin of mine also named her daughter Kathryn Jane, known as Katie, and they could be twins they are so alike!) My younger daughter was named Gemma because I liked the name. Husband didn't, so we decided to name her Amy. I had such a long and arduous labour, that once she was born, husband agreed to call her Gemma! My younger son was called James after a motor bike! I think we were running out of ideas by number 4! LOL Husband and I decided that none of our children should be named after a relative - too many Williams and Josephs in our family trees already! Sue

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Jun 2004 20:21

Sue, a motorbike named James???? :-)

Sue

Sue Report 27 Jun 2004 20:23

It is/was the name of the make of a bike! LOL Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jun 2004 20:26

I was going to be called Amanda Jane, but my paternal grandmother wanted my dad to have a choice, and his choice of middle name (Denise) went better with Mandy than Amanda. So this is how I'm Mandy Denise! And Amanda means 'much loved' which is why my mum chose it. My hubby is Marston - apparently some long ago family name! - and our son is Jordan. We had a few boys' names, including Jonathan, then a friend of ours was pregnant and said that she had chosen Jonathan first so we would have to think of something else. Jordan was the next name in the baby names book and we thought it was really nice.

Tallulah

Tallulah Report 27 Jun 2004 20:26

My daughters are called Amy and Kim, no particular reason we just liked them, but hubby and i must have read through the baby's names book 100 times trying to choose, you'd think with all the names it would be a lot easier lol, the one thing we both agreed on was that the names couldn't be shortened.

chezzy

chezzy Report 27 Jun 2004 20:47

hi all..my children are( NATALIA)i liked natalie but wanted an uncommon name so found this variation.my sons are (MASON)my dad loved the footballer gazza and gazza's step son is named this and (LOGAN)as my nan loved logans run.All three of their names have been used in films since so are becoming bit more popular.Im also named after the stevie wonder hit my cherie amour. Tricia my mum called my brother lee so it couldnt be shortened but it got longer instead lol..to my kids he's uncle lee-lee.my best mate called her son KEELAN in respect and after the first american soldier that died in iraq.

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 3 Jul 2004 16:24

I've been researching my maternal grandmother's family tree (surname - Warry) dating back to 1531 and found that going down the line of one branch of the family all the first son's were given the same unusual christian name - Onesipherous, has anyone ever heard of it and if so I'd be interested to know where it originated from. Audrey

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 3 Jul 2004 17:41

My brother and I were given names which are not on either side of the family. My relatives can be pretty petty at times and if my parents had chosen names on one side, the other side would probably still be sulking. Given that some of my relatives indulged in fairly archaic names (Ada and Moses, anyone?) it wasn't too hard. Right throughout my foetus-hood, mum called me Laura. I had dipped a toe into the world before it was changed to Kathryn.

syljo

syljo Report 3 Jul 2004 18:58

My children were given names which could be pronounced in both the Netherlands and Gt Britain. Our first is Adriaan (Adrian) Second is Janet (Janet) Third is Susan (Susan) The first thing my mother said to me when she heard the name of Adriaan was "Where did that name come from". One reason for not naming our children after parents/grandparents. When looking through my relatives in Finland I was surprised to find the names of Susan (my daughter's name) and Linda (my granddaughter). My husband, his father and grandfather were all Johan. My grandson is Jan, so is his father. We have a problem there! My brother was called Roger as my mother's maiden name was Rogers! Sylvia

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 Jul 2004 20:35

hi sarah i was called sandra after my my mums dead sister, my kids natasha as my mum liked it and dad wouldn't call any of us that. carl as i fancied my exs best friend david born at xmas so i wanted a biblical name. steven after my brother born the same day 20years apart stephanie to compliment steven. lol sandra