General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

totty

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 28 Jun 2004 19:54

does nayone know where the name totty comes from or what it means please

kim

kim Report 28 Jun 2004 20:00

this was one of my grandmothers, always known as totty im haveing trouble tracing her, so wondered if this was a shortened name for somethone??

Bob

Bob Report 28 Jun 2004 20:01

Best I can find is here: http://www.totty-families.org/origin.html

Angela

Angela Report 28 Jun 2004 20:01

I have come across this term in my travels and it has always been interchangeable with "bit of skirt" or similar comments. Usually not used with any respect, and always by men. Never heard it as a name/nickname but I would not be surprised if it was a short form of Charlotte. Angela

kim

kim Report 28 Jun 2004 20:04

totty was the christian name my grandmother was known by

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jun 2004 20:07

Kim, I see what you mean - like someone called Charlotte being known as Lottie. How about Thomasina, that's an old name? Of course, sometimes names were just 'pet' names - my great-grandmother was Mary Ann, but was always known affectionately as 'Poll'! Hope others come up with some ideas, Mandy :)

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 28 Jun 2004 20:09

Totty is also short for Charlotte. How stupid am I ? Just typed this into Google and you can imagine what came up!!!! It says it's an English pet name for Charlotte. Christine

Christine2

Christine2 Report 28 Jun 2004 20:10

Leticia (spelling?) was sometimes known as Lettie - could this have become Lottie. Chris

kim

kim Report 28 Jun 2004 20:17

thanks for help guys, and thanks chrissie i think your round the boards just as much as me lol