General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a buzz!!! UPDATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 29 Jun 2004 17:28

Was being driven through London today, down Bayswater Road, opp Hyde Park and I just happened to catch site of The Tyburn Convent and there is a plaque on the wall outside and it has one of my ancestors names on it. I think it said he laid the foundation stone for it, he was Cardinal William Godfrey.I wish we could of stopped to have a proper look, but no time unfortunatley, but I was so pleased when I spotted it.I was like, oh wow one of my family Kathleen

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 29 Jun 2004 17:30

You sound over the moon, and I can't say i blame you. Liz

Tallulah

Tallulah Report 29 Jun 2004 17:31

How exciting for you Kathleen! Maybe at a later date you will be able to stop and peruse at your leisure. Tricia

Geoff

Geoff Report 29 Jun 2004 17:51

I hope he wasn't a direct ancestor - celibacy and all that!

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jun 2004 18:15

hi kathleen,the convent has quite a nice website,you can even go on a virtual tour,with live pictures,that you can direct your self. www(.)tyburnconvent(.)org(.)uk best wishes.....bryan.

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 29 Jun 2004 19:00

hi kathleen, sounds a good excuse for a day out :0) to take a proper look really pleased for you tina xx

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 29 Jun 2004 19:17

Tricia Do intend to stop and have a proper look next time Geoff he was my Grandmas first cousin, their fathers were brothers Brian just had a look at that site,Thanks Tina Soon as I can, will go back again Thanks for all being so pleased for me Kathleen

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 30 Jun 2004 21:22

oops sorry Brian for mispelling your name Kathleen

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 30 Jun 2004 21:47

After Bryan told me about convent website yesterday, I emailed the Sisters and was delighted today to receive a reply back from the Mother General, she told me the Cardinal had laid the foundation stone for their church, and she knew him well, he was also protector of their convent and very often on a Sunday afternoon would ring to say he would be dropping in for a cuppa, after his walk through Hyde Park and that she had very fond memories of him.I was so pleased that someone bothered to reply, even more so that someone knew and remembered him, as he died in 1963, I never met him but can recall my Grandma being very upset when he died as they apparently played together as children. Kathleen