General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If I could change anything in the world or about m

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Philip

Philip Report 1 Jul 2004 23:50

Ever thought about having a 'boob job' or a 'tuck', or wished that you could help the starving children? What would you change in life?

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Jul 2004 00:26

i was the only one in my family,to be given..a scholarship..and as such was treated like a hero,but i threw it back in there face,i was not a good son...its something i will die regretting..if only we could turn back time! bryan.

Victoria

Victoria Report 2 Jul 2004 00:31

i would change the time i spend regreting things whats done is done but i still dwell on things

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 2 Jul 2004 00:41

Hi Philip, too many to think about in the grand scheme of things but personally I would never have started smoking, never have given up nursing a few months short of qualifying and would have stuck in better at school. It took me 'til I was 35 to go back to the local high school and sit my Highers (A levels) just to prove to myself that I could do it! Christine

Mags

Mags Report 2 Jul 2004 03:33

Like Christine, I would never have started smoking so easy to start....but! I would not have waited until I was nearly 40 before realising that I had a right to my own opinion instead of my mother's. I would not have missed opportunities that were open to me by having faith in my own abilities and the confidence to work with them. Just occasionally I would have let my heart rule my head rather than the other way round. Change the world? Take away war,greed, poverty and unite under one religion - that should do it.

♫Jilly McMad♫

♫Jilly McMad♫ Report 2 Jul 2004 03:33

albeit that i need the online for the family tree and the computer for my committee stuff....I would never have got a pc and gone online...I would have worked to save my marriage and I would never have started smoking......however I would rather regret something that I have done than something that I havent...... Jillx

Helen

Helen Report 2 Jul 2004 16:04

If i could change>>> that i had listen to my mum more, because i know now , it was true, the advice she was trying to tell me!!!!!!helen

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 2 Jul 2004 16:53

I would give everybody in the world a sense of humour! Jeanette

Christine2

Christine2 Report 2 Jul 2004 18:52

I would give everybody in the world compassion and understanding of others as well as a sense of humour in the hope that it would get rid of all the aggression that is about these days. Chris

Fairy

Fairy Report 2 Jul 2004 18:56

Well said Chrissie. I've always said if the world was ruled by women, we would'nt have all these wars, violence and aggression. Jo.

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 2 Jul 2004 19:37

If I could change anything in the world it would be to obliterate the brains of all those people who have ever mentally or physically abused others, especially children. Pat

Philip

Philip Report 2 Jul 2004 21:52

Some very lighthearted comments, and serious ones too coming in. Keep going!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 2 Jul 2004 21:57

I would want more patience, tolerance and less envy - I would want everyone to find peace, and for all to live in harmony with one another. Unlikely I know, but ever the optimist! Jacqui

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 3 Jul 2004 08:31

there's so much i would change i would of spoken up as a child, i wouldnt of ruined my running career i wouldnt smoke, i would be more confident i cant go on to many things one thing i wouldnt change joining gr and meeting you lot :0)

Janet

Janet Report 3 Jul 2004 08:42

There are loads of things I would like to change but would I? Apart from the very popular not to start smoking. I have many regrets from my early years, the biggest being giving my daughter up for adoption. Thankfully now Liz and I are together again. But, if I hadn't taken that decision would I now have my 3 wonderful sons - I think not. If I had worked harder for my exams, would my life have taken a different turn and therefore again would I not have my sons. I wish I had never married the man I did - big mistake - but see above. I could go on and on but if we could change ourselves or our past then something nice in our present might not have happened. One thing though. I wish I had started the family tree whilst my parents/grandparents were still alive. Janet (reasonably happy with herself - apart from the smoking)

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Jul 2004 12:10

I was never blessed with beauty and although I have 2 beautiful young ladies as Daughters, I have spent most of my adult life on my own. Maybe if........

Angela

Angela Report 3 Jul 2004 12:28

I'm not materialistic and I've never worried too much about looks (not that I have anything to worry about - haha - I'll never make a beauty queen). The one thing I would change if I could is that I would have liked to be a stay at home mum. I have gone back to work very quickly after the birth of both my children in order to keep a roof over our heads. I've done my best for them and made sure we have quality time. But if it could have been different, I would have loved to have thrown myself full time into looking after them and contributing to school/playgroup etc. Angela

Sand

Sand Report 3 Jul 2004 20:37

What a great idea for a thread--a lovely way of getting to know each other a bit better! I would have never started swearing! I would never have got my first credit card! I would never have discovered comfort eating. I would have stayed the weight I was 5 years ago. I would have gone to university--but never too late! I'm working towards fuldilling that one!

Ann

Ann Report 4 Jul 2004 08:23

If you offered me anything in the world...I would like to have my lovely Grandad back, even for a few hours- he never met my husband, my youngest nephew or see my older nephew grow up into a football maniac- and most of all he never met my daughter- who he would have been crazy about!!! I always tell her that he is looking out for her though!!!

Philip

Philip Report 6 Jul 2004 01:13

Thankyou for the comments. The idea came to me while 'surfing' the message boards. The main thing about your comments is that it isn't too late to change some of them. You CAN give up smoking. You CAN go to college or study at home, even it at a slower pace. Admittedly, putting off having children to follow your career, and then finding later that it's too late to have kids can't be reversed, or marrying the wrong man, I suppose the main thing is to take as good look at our lives as they stand now and see what we've got. We always seem to put ourselves down instead of standing up and being 'tall'. Believe me ..... I'm not half as shy as I used to be.