General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This is serious

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 4 Jul 2004 16:36

Anyone know how difficult & costly it was to get a divorce in the early part of the 20th century

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 4 Jul 2004 19:07

You're not sopposed to get divorced, remember saying "till death us do part"

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 4 Jul 2004 19:27

I think it was soooo difficult and expensive that it was far easier to just slope off, meet someone else, set up home and forget the "mistake" of earlier on. At least that's what my ancestors seems to do! Jacqui

Jay

Jay Report 4 Jul 2004 19:30

I agree Jacqeline. That's exactly what my Great Grandfather did. Had 5 children by my Great Grandmother and she was pregnant with the 6th when his first wife died on the operating table (women's problems!). On her death certificate it said widow, but she wasn't. Easier to say that than to say her husband ran off!! Lol Jay

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2004 19:42

Harry The National Archives website has some info about divorce, mainly relating to legal aspects. Helen