General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

swimming - out of depth!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsMooMoo

MrsMooMoo Report 4 Jul 2004 21:57

Advice needed. My swimming has come on a treat since I began swimming l6 months ago. I was having lessons at a children's swimming pool but stopped having them after I felt competent enough plus the pool was too packed and shallow! I really would love to try swimming lengths in our local pool but the deep end is over 7 foot and Ive not been out of my depth before so I don't know how to tread water. my husband is so busy so he can't come with me. I am okay with the water up to my neck. Should I try on my own? I'm a bit frighten to incase I get into difficulty! Has anyone experienced anything similiar? Any suggestions?!!

Gerry

Gerry Report 4 Jul 2004 22:03

Sally Its so long since I learnt to swim I cannot remeber what I did. However, I would have thought it best to ask a friend you know is a good swimmer to go with you and can give you moral support. Good luck

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 4 Jul 2004 22:05

Sally I am not a strong swimmer, two strokes and under thats me. But last year I had two operations on my shoulder, after the second one the physio suggested swimming, I was horrified, I can't swim I wailed, but I did go and I just kept to the side, so when I was out of breath or began to panic I just grabbed hold of the side, up and down I went and eventually I gained more confidence and it done my shoulder the world of good. Have a go you will be fine. Sue

Bob

Bob Report 4 Jul 2004 22:08

Sally Sign up for lessons at your local pool or go to the ladies only session when it wont be crowded

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 4 Jul 2004 22:40

As Judith said, its all about confidence. Actually, without exhaling its quite difficult to sink. Try learning to float on your back. Its quite easy and by gently moving the hands it is possible to control movement and direction, thus being able to move to shallower water without much effort if swimming on the front becomes tiring. len

Fairy

Fairy Report 5 Jul 2004 11:06

I too had the same problem and only learnt to swim a few years ago at adult only lesson times. The teacher told us to tread water by pretending to ride a bike but with the arms on the surface moving around. Well it worked for me, but do try to go with a friend to boost your confidence. Jo.

MrsMooMoo

MrsMooMoo Report 5 Jul 2004 18:44

Thanks for the advice. I would love to go with a friend but they either are weak swimmers or they are not available! The swimming instructors at the pool don't get in the pool with learners they just give advice from the sidelines! I would prefer the instructor in the water in the first instance. I can float on my back and front just fine. I have another friend who has the same problem as me too. Maybe I will strike up a friendship with someone in the water and get them to swim to the deep end with me! My small daughter swims like a fish. She can handle the deep water - no worries there. Love SallyX