General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maggie's memories.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jul 2004 19:55

Maggie sits by the window, watching the world pass by recalling the life she lived she utters a resigned sigh, Gone is the house with laughter and a dogs muddy paws gone are the sibling quarrels, and slamming of angry doors. Her days are long and empty. The silence is profound though noisy busy carers bustle all around. "Are you having any visitors today"? a fresh faced young girl asks. not waiting for an answer, as she tackles different tasks. Maggie looks at her hands, beautiful no more. recalling how they cradled each child she bore. She had loved, and was loved in return, with a fierce passion , hot enough to burn. sorrow had pierced her heart with fright, as for his country her man did fight. His resting place a foreign grave alongside pals just as brave. Maggie smiles and wipes a tear, how quiclky past has yester year. Buldings crumble. porcelain breaks. but precious memories no one takes. Terri Morrow 05/ 07/ 04

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 5 Jul 2004 19:57

Aw Terri that was lovely I have to admit it brought a wee tear to my eye. Maybe I shouldn't moan so much about the bairns in future. Thanks for sharing it Christine

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 5 Jul 2004 20:12

thats lovely,does seem sad for maggie though,

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jul 2004 20:14

julie anne its ok cos its only tending . lol xx

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 5 Jul 2004 20:33

aww thats ok then, im happier now, im gullable im afraid and for nearly forty its sad, however its still a lovely thread.

Fairy

Fairy Report 5 Jul 2004 20:42

There's thousands of Maggie's out there, thats what makes it so sad. Jo.x.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jul 2004 20:57

oh yes there are indeed thousand of maggies, the poem is an echo of my fears that I may become a maggie too

Mags

Mags Report 6 Jul 2004 09:03

Terri - that is beautiful. It applies to all of us looking back over our life even if we have never been a forces wife. Treasured memories - the older we get the more important they are. So poignant that she is alone with her memories in the bustle of her surroundings.

Cathy at the Top of the Hill

Cathy at the Top of the Hill Report 6 Jul 2004 09:40

That was lovely - thank you! (and sad.) Have a good day, Cathy ~~

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2004 10:32

Terri - the gift of a great writer is being able to make their readers feel their emotions - and you my dear lady and friend - you are a genius - your words have moved many of us to tears and those of us lucky enough to have read more of your work have chuckled. You brought Christmas to ALL our hearts and we are waiting for this years stories from Marigold - much love and great appreciation She your friend and fan. xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2004 10:40

Oh Terri thats beautiful - l do hope you are putting all these stories into a book, you really are gifted. This one brought a tear to my eyes - like you it could be me in years to come and it is so very sad cause there are so many Maggies out there, so many memories!!! Jude s wales

Lindy

Lindy Report 6 Jul 2004 11:38

Hi Terri, It's great to see you back again. What a beautiful sad poem! I too, am looking forward to Santa's cleaning lady's stories. My young niece can now read so I shall have fun copying and sending them to her so she can read them to her little brother. hugs Lindy