General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parking a vehicle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 5 Jul 2004 20:45

I generally reverse park into a space. How about you?

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jul 2004 20:46

Usually, although I have been known to drive in if it's a larger space. And whilst on the subject, I'd like to discount the theory that women can't park ...... OH YES I CAN LOLOL

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 5 Jul 2004 20:48

me too mandy, i can park, though i do reverse mostly, i blame being left handed,

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 5 Jul 2004 20:49

I dont drive - i get the hubby to do it ( icall him the chauffeur)

Janice

Janice Report 5 Jul 2004 20:49

I can reverse park too! Janice

John

John Report 5 Jul 2004 21:19

How about in a car park?

Lindy

Lindy Report 5 Jul 2004 21:42

I can park anywhere, regardless of the space. The problem is getting out! Lindy:-(((

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Jul 2004 23:16

While we are talkng of parking, have you noticed that in american movies, they ALWAYS drive into the gap, and reverse out into the street........there IS a reason for this. does any one out there know it? bob.........

Philip

Philip Report 6 Jul 2004 00:44

I will reverse park if it is a small space ( it's easier) but otherwise drive straight in. In supermarket carparks, I will always drive in, ortherwise I have difficulty stopping a trolley rolling across the carpark whilst taking the shopping around the back of the car to the boot.

Margaret

Margaret Report 6 Jul 2004 07:14

I reverse in to a space which i find very easy, mind you saying that hubby gets his car into spaces that i would never even attemp to get in to. Suppose its his better driving skills than mine Margaret

Sandra

Sandra Report 6 Jul 2004 07:25

hi john i tend to reverse into a space,and into my drive as i don't like reversing out onto the road, unless in a supermarket like some one else said its easier for the shopping. sandra

Carol

Carol Report 6 Jul 2004 07:31

I reverse park i past my test about 10 years ago you had to reverse park on your test. My husband drives me mad driving around till he finds a big enough space if i am with him i will tell him to get out and i will park.

Sue

Sue Report 6 Jul 2004 07:48

I normally reverse into a space at the roadside, but drive into one in a car park, simply because it's easier to load shopping into the boot. My husband insists on reversing into all spaces, including supermarket car parks, and doesn't understand why I get annoyed with him! LOL I have to say that he is disabled and walks with crutches, so it's me that pushes the trolley and has to manoeuvre it around the back of the car to unload it! Sue

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Jul 2004 09:43

Di My hubby says I'm not a bad driver for a woman which is his way of saying I drive just as well as any man but without actually having to admit it! lol I reverse park into smaller spaces but find it much easier if I'm sat away from the space I'm going into ie. drivers side in the middle of the road. Jeanette

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jul 2004 09:56

As a non driver, I asked my husband recently why he didn't back into a marked car park space outside a restaurant and he said it was easier to steal a car if you just had to drive it away rather than reverse it. We did have a car stolen from outside our house a few years back, so perhaps he is over cautious.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 6 Jul 2004 17:20

I always reverse when I park the car/s. My father taught me to drive and used to make me reverse into parking spaces, drives, round corners and hillstarts. I did a reverse hillstart on my test. (I passed 1st time) I do find it difficult to drive foward into a parking space and then reverse out with the estate car but fine with the Fiesta. Its what you get used to doing I suppose (and how you are taught). Viv.

Steph

Steph Report 6 Jul 2004 17:45

ooh, you are a clever lot! I absolutely have to park where there are tons of spaces, as my parking is appalling!!!! Luckily have large driveway, otherwise I'd be really stuck! Think it all stems from when I'd just passed my test, and tried to park Sierra in tiny space, panicked and hit the car parked next to the space!!!! Now have mental block when it comes to parking in tight spaces! Hubby drives for a living (32 tonne truck!) and thinks I'm being hysterical! Have to add that my driving , otherwise, is perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steph ;-)))))))

Gerry

Gerry Report 8 Jul 2004 21:56

I try to reverse, but sad to admit (sorry fellas) its more like a mult point turn!!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Jul 2004 23:33

Regarding my earlier post, refering to why yanks always seem to DRIVE into spaces,and reverse out, is that according to MY info,the police when they drive by, need to look at the licence plate, which is on the rear end of the car..........i USED to think that it was cos they was lazy.............

Bob

Bob Report 10 Jul 2004 15:09

Surely the *best* way to park is whichever is the easiest. As has been said - in supermarkets etc drive in is best to give easy access to boot. On street reverse is best in small spaces otherwise it doesn't matter. My wife has to reverse her estate up our steep drive and stay close to the left wall because space is tight - She does this entirely with mirrors as she finds it hard to turn her head. Bob