General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wedding rings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 6 Jul 2004 15:13

When did men and women begin to wear wedding rings? I am sure that men didn't begin the same time as women. Have they always been worn on the left hand? In the Netherlands if you are Catholic you wear your wedding ring on the left hand and if your are Protestant on the right hand. We have only one ring here. Our engagement ring is also our wedding ring. Or not mine, because I was engaged and married in England. I like to have the beautiful engagement ring and plain wedding ring. Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2004 17:11

I always thought that wedding rings (on your 4th finger left hand) came from the Roman idea that a blood vessel ran all the way from that finger to the heart. Though common sense might have told them that if this didn't apply to other fingers they would drop off! Years ago I had a book, now sadly lost, which my mother got at a jumble sale. It had two pages on rings and which fingers - I knew about wedding and engagement rings of course, but aparently in victorian posh society, rings on different fingers might mean - I'm available/I'm hoping to be engaged soon/I have an understanding with a young man/ etc.

syljo

syljo Report 6 Jul 2004 19:54

I too have a third ring which I had for being 25 years married. The Dutch wedding/engagement ring is rather a sobre ring, unlike the British ones with sapphires,emeralds, diamonds etc. When I was getting engaged I couldn't find a ring I liked so I bought a secondhand one. I still have it although I have had to have it reset.