General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

exdikslic

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 7 Jul 2004 11:26

When people start talking about 3rd cousins twice removed and what relationship mum's uncle was to her sister's aunt's granny then I become very dislexic. I'm normally pretty good with maths and problems but relationships just leave me dizzy does anyone else have this problem? xx Dave

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 7 Jul 2004 17:09

Thanks Leslie next time I want a headache I'll try it LOL Glad to know others suffer a similar fate Judith xx Dave

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jul 2004 17:52

hi dave,i was at a funeral yesterday,and met my cousins daughter,who is 23,we were trying to work out our relationship,and going round in circles,before we knew it,there were about six people all trying to work it out,when she said...i know wot,why dont i call you uncle bryan..wot a sensible idea,rather than saying..this is my cousin,once removed lol.. bryan.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 7 Jul 2004 18:00

Hi Dave, your right about the headaches, especially after trying to work out some of the charts. I've put this on before but I found this and think it's the easiest explanation, guaranteed headache free! FIRST COUSINS-two individuals who have the same grandparents SECOND COUSINS-two individuals who share the same great grandparents THIRD COUSINS-two individuals who share the same great great grandparents and so on down the line REMOVED- this is a term used to describe the relationship between two "cousins" of differing generations. For example your first cousin's child would be one generation removed from your first cousin. Known as your first cousin once removed. The same is true in reverse, e.g. your mother's first cousin would be your first cousin once removed. Christine

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 8 Jul 2004 00:10

Aw Lesley I'm sure your link was a help, it's just that with me being a bit of a thicko I could never get my head round them. I shouldn't presume other people are as thick as me, (nobody could be THAT bad) LOL Christine

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 8 Jul 2004 11:06

Christine thanks that sounds pretty simple Lesley I've just noticed so sorry about the spelling I must truly be dislexic. Did the spelling mean that you had a sex change as well? that would have made relationships even harder to fathom lol xx Dave

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 8 Jul 2004 12:46

Yes Liz It's a bit like explaining how Newcastle can be u L or o T when in actul fact they are both at the side of ! just kidding thanks xx Dave