General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Contacting long gone ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Queenie

Queenie Report 8 Jul 2004 17:03

As most of us know a little about our long gone relatives I was wondering if anyone had tried a medium to see if an ancestor came through and if information given was the same as was already known. I ask because someone suggested I try.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jul 2004 17:29

hi amanda,thats an interesting thought,but personally i would be afraid of doing it myself...but wish you well if you decide to go ahead. bryan.

Flossie

Flossie Report 8 Jul 2004 17:32

Its worth a try.I have always thought of it but have not got round to organising anything. I cant see any harm in it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 8 Jul 2004 17:53

hi amanda i have been to quite a lot of mediums,been contacted by rellies but not by the ancestors(1800's),just a shame they didn't know that they could contact us through mediums,(it would have been witchcraft back in 1700's/1800's).I wish i could contact my grandma to ask her when her birthday was because i have the year but she is not on 1837 online. just make sure if you go to a medium that they are good. sue ps the medium i go see when he is in LEEDS/OTLEY is STEVE HOLBROOK. http;//www.steveholbrook(.)co(.)uk YOU CAN READ ALL ABOUT HIM ON HIS SITE AND GET WHERE HE WILL BE FOR DEMONSTATIONS.

Jane

Jane Report 8 Jul 2004 17:53

There are so many I would have questions for. It would be one I knew a lot about that would come through! Jane

Minnehik

Minnehik Report 8 Jul 2004 18:00

First time visit to a medium was last Saturday with my daughter and grandaughter in Nanaimo. Asked a question about my grandmother and received a reply which set me on a different track and found a connection to one I already had which confirmed a theory I had about her family. Have since found three other relations. Also received a message from my estranged daughter who died of cancer 15 years ago. Gave us great understanding and a now peaceful mind. I was definately a skeptic but went with an open mind. We taped the session (it was very different from what I expected) and am now working through it at my leisure. We never told the woman anything about ourselves and none of her questions could have 'led' us to give information she could use. She was uncannily correct in very many specific things she told us - especially to a German connection of which she could have no knowledge whatsoever. She had no knowledge that I was into geneaolgy aand could confirm what she said. Some of the information went back at least 200 years. Quite unbelievable on looking back.

Flossie

Flossie Report 8 Jul 2004 19:33

Steve Holbrook is fantastic brought through my dad for me and told me something I didnt even know. It was about something my husband had done, nothing serious, in fact he "grassed him" it was very funny. I am going to see him in a couple of weeks in Salford.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 8 Jul 2004 22:09

hi gillian i am glad that someone else goes to see steve holbrook,he's brought my husband through and his brother-in-law,i told my sister-in-law what her husband had said and the next time he was around LEEDSshe went with me,steve brought through her mother and father+her husband,but now her sons dont like her going with me,they say that he is not genuine.but i can prove different but you know what lads are like for trying to protect their mums even though she is in her 60's. sue

Flossie

Flossie Report 9 Jul 2004 21:02

Well we both know he is genuine and even if he wasnt if it makes you feel better about your lost loved ones watching over you and you believe then there is no harm in it. Until you have been contacted by a loved one and told something that you know is from them then how can you say it is not genuine. I am going to see him in Salford on 22nd July, do you need to know anything"!!! Gill