General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bizarre Proposals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fairy

Fairy Report 8 Jul 2004 20:15

OK so we have meetings. Who has had the most unusual marriage proposal? I was proposed to at a bus stop, he stood in the road and proposed. I looked around and saw a queue of people with smiley faces waiting in antisipation and said 'Yes'. Strange people were overjoyed and congratulated us, it was lovely. Jo.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jul 2004 22:38

I lived "in sin" (shock horror) for ages waiting for a proposal. Finally I came home one day and told him I'd booked the register office, he had to invite his family (no hats) and book a restaurant for the wedding breakfast. Helen

Fairy

Fairy Report 9 Jul 2004 10:39

Helen, did he mind? He just needed a nudge then! Come on some of you must have some really good stories to put here! Jo.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2004 12:18

i was in my early twenties,in the army,based in belfast,and when we had some leave,we would go over to southern ireland. well one night,i met this beautiful asian lady,who was studying catering at dublin.we started seeing each other on a regular basis,but then we got transferred to germany,and we lost touch...well,nearly two years later,we bumped into each other in london,we went for a meal that night,and i told her i didnt want to lose her again,and she said,well,we'd better get married then...so we did!...it only lasted eleven years,but we have three lovely children to show for it. bryan.

Fairy

Fairy Report 9 Jul 2004 16:05

Thanks for your replies. They are all romantic in their own way. Can we have some more please?

Fairy

Fairy Report 9 Jul 2004 16:28

Lorr, I've been engaged 6 times and married twice. The first when I was 16 and far to young to know what marriage meant. The guy gave me a beautiful ring of diamonds but said it had fallen off the back of a lorry and to be careful who I showed it too. I thought, if that is all I was worth, then stuff it, put the ring on the table and walked out and never saw him again. Jo.

Lynne

Lynne Report 9 Jul 2004 16:34

I had been married twice before (both very unhappy) so when he proposed I said it was too soon. He asked again twice more and it was still too soon. Once I knew I could trust him, I decided to propose to him on 29 February (the day the lady can propose). I expected him to just say yes but the crafty devil said he would marry me the next Leap Year day. So I had to wait 4 more years and we we got married on 29 February 1992. On the night of 28 February the following year, we went out for a meal and when we got back I went to bed. He came in the room with a bottle of Champagne and 2 glasses. We sat in bed sipping the Champagne but I've never liked it much so put it on the bedside cupboard and went to sleep. When I woke up in the morning he was sat up in bed with his Champagne in his hand and he said 'I've been sat here all night waiting for you to wake up!' He has kept me laughing ever since and I love him to bits!!

Fairy

Fairy Report 9 Jul 2004 17:54

Lynne, what a lovely story! Keep them coming! Jo x.