General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stillbirth entry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Doreen

Doreen Report 8 Jul 2004 22:01

Can anyone tell me if a stillbirth would be recorded in the same way as any other birth or death? Does it get entered on the same register or is there a stillbirth register? Doreen

Ann

Ann Report 8 Jul 2004 22:04

I think they are registered, but not sure if they are given a name. Pre-1936 they probably were not registered at all. But someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jul 2004 22:05

Hi Doreen, you might get some more replies if you put this on the Tips board - in fact I think I remember there being a thread about it recently. Type it into the search box at the top and hopefully it will come up. Good luck, Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jul 2004 22:07

Doreen Stillbirths were recorded separately from about 1920 something. I believe you can only get information about them if you are a direct descendant of the parents, but hopefully the thread is still around on either Tips or Record board. If not, a posting there will certainly get you the info. Helen

Doreen

Doreen Report 8 Jul 2004 22:18

Hi Ann,Mandy & Helen, I did a search for the thread and it came up with the name and address of a lady that keeps stillbirth records. Thankyou so much for your help I have been searching for ages for a record of my cousin. best wishes Doreen

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 8 Jul 2004 23:31

I have an original certificate of my grandmothers first child 1920 who died shortly after birth. It's a birth certificate with a full name which the registrar has penciled over the top 'this baby died'. Sheila

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 9 Jul 2004 08:24

Hi I asked at the Family Records Office, earlier this year about still births. There is one certificate issued, covering the birth/death. Only close relatives, ie: parents/siblings can apply for this. However, if parents/siblings are no longer around, then it MIGHT be possible to obtain a copy. To apply for a certificate, you have to write to the GRO Southport, giving as much info as possible, and giving reason why you want, and what relationship - if any, there is. Each case is on merit, and the outcome is apparently 50 -50. Good luck Liz

Flossie

Flossie Report 9 Jul 2004 09:34

My daughter had a stillbirth 4 years ago and there was just one cert called a stillbirth cert. Dont know how it would appear on the registers though.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 9 Jul 2004 10:01

Hello folks! I am going to nudge up my stillbirth thread on the Tips Board for those who haven't seen it yet. It gives all the details about the legal/registration side and the contact information for the lady who researches them. Maz. XX