General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bad News!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 14 Jul 2004 17:06

Unfortunatly I shall be away on holiday for the next two weeks. It's really sad that i'll leave to leave the boards in rainy Britain and relax in sunny France. I don't know how i'll cope! Ah well, i'll just have to grin and bear it.

Sandra

Sandra Report 14 Jul 2004 17:07

enjoy your hols, i hope you have a lovely time lol sandra

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jul 2004 17:30

Daniel, first a birthday then a holiday - whatever next?!! Have a great time, we will miss your fun on the boards. See you soon, Mandy :))

Sue

Sue Report 14 Jul 2004 17:34

Oh Daniel What a trial for you to have to go to sunny France for 2 weeks! I don't envy you at all :-D I'd much rather be here in rainy, windy, dull and dismal England! Well that's what I'm trying to make myself believe anyway! Have a great holiday and enjoy yourself! Sue

Daniel

Daniel Report 14 Jul 2004 17:36

On my first lottery ticket i win the jackpot. Wouldn't that be good to come next. Fingers crossed.

wendynette

wendynette Report 14 Jul 2004 19:32

I am sorry to disappoint you but I live in "sunny" France and it has been rainging for the last three days !! Although the forecast does look better. Have a good holiday all the same. Wendy (in Britanny !!!)

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 14 Jul 2004 19:47

lol hope you have a great holiday hard as it may be :0) tina xx

Daniel

Daniel Report 14 Jul 2004 20:18

oops. I think i'm actually going to Britanny. Hope it does clear up.

Julie

Julie Report 14 Jul 2004 21:17

I don't think you'll like it there!! I'll have to go in your place!! Julie

Daniel

Daniel Report 14 Jul 2004 21:18

No no, i must do my duty!

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 14 Jul 2004 21:29

Hi Daniel! I have got a bit behind with my mags and am just getting into April's 'Your Family Tree'. Are you by any chance the same Daniel Longman whose mug shot is on page 43?? If so then surely you should be off to Northern Spain, not France! Sorry, but had to ask! Maz. XX

Daniel

Daniel Report 14 Jul 2004 21:33

I am yes. I was very lucky to win that. Only 5 winners out the thousands that entered.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 15 Jul 2004 20:17

oooooo - you are the 2nd person on this site whose piccy has been in a magazine in the last few months - wonder who will be number 3?? How weird that I should be reading it just at the time I spotted your message! Have a great holiday! Weather surely can't be worse than it is here! Maz. XX

Daniel

Daniel Report 28 Jul 2004 03:51

Oh I Maz! What magazines have you been looking at and who was the other person??? Just got back. Will update you with my report of Le France in ze morning.

Daniel

Daniel Report 28 Jul 2004 17:32

It was my first holiday in France and didn't know what to expect. After the 10 hour drive/sail to get to St. Hilaire De Riez we were greeted by a rather basic Eurocamp caravan which was smaller than we thought it was in the book- but it would do. The weather was good and we only experienced about 1 hour of rain/thunder/lightening during the week which was useful as we were out most of the time. The food I found quiet tasty. The resturant menues usually had English subtitles but for those which didn't, the waiters and waitresses done well to explain what we were buying. After hearing accounts of the French not speaking English just to see us suffer with thier language this was a nice surprise and made the trip alot easier. I found St. Hilaire De Riez quiet a boring place so trips out were the main activities. 10 mins down the road and you come to Jean De Monts. I thought this was a very intresting area. It had a long beach which stretched as far as the eye could see, tall high rise apartments which must have had excellent views for the residents residents and a great shopping facilities. The shops didn't seem to open till about 2pm whcih i thought was strange. But this is because at Jean De Monts the town is just as alive at night as it is in the day. The precient is constantly packed full of people. We left at about 12am and the crowd showed no signs of leaving and most of the shops were still trading. I saw the most rediculously oversized candyfloss as big as small dog being given out. My brother got one but didn't like it. Not surprised, but at 3 euros (about £1.50 i think it was) it was worth it. However, there is another side of France which i did not particulary like. In the supermarkets, fire works are being sold. I thought this to be quite dangerous and certinly should be banned in such places. I also observed ball bearing guns being sold on the high street! Potenially dealy weapons being sold and even being given as prizes at the fair to youngsters. I hope soon the French realise that such firearms should be removed from the public as injuies are bound to occur from the recklessness of some people and these things. It was intresting for cars to be on the other side of the road. I think we are one of only a few contries which drive on the left. I wonder why that is? Speaking of roads, i noticed that at Zebra crossings, people just walk out regardless, expecting the motorist to stop. What happens if they dont? I'm sure there has been a number a deaths because of the carelessness of french pedestrians who just go without looking. My dad had to slam his brakes down on one of the first days because of it. I also noticed that the laws on mopeds seem to be more realxed over there. I saw a few people who did not look a day over 15 riding at quiet high speed on main roads on those mini bikes. Maybe they just looked younger than they were but it did concern me that some one so young could be allowed to drive so fast. Overall, France is a good place to visit and I would advise going. However, I personally would not go back to St. Hilaire De Riez as I feel I saw everything there is to see. Dan

Sandra

Sandra Report 28 Jul 2004 19:32

hi dan nice to see you enjoyed your hols, and the weather held out for you LOL SANDRA

Julie

Julie Report 28 Jul 2004 20:25

My Aunt lives in the South of France. once the kids reach the age of 15 they can ride mopeds/scooters!!! As for pedestrians and side streets they seem to take precidence over the main roads. Going round a roundabout is rather strange isn't it??? Julie

Daniel

Daniel Report 29 Jul 2004 22:48

Nudged for Judith