General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

need help with chat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sara

Sara Report 16 Jul 2004 21:09

Hope someone can help I wish to use the chat , but dont want my last name to appear as it is not a nice surname a bit rude so how can I chat without this showing

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jul 2004 21:17

hi Sarah, yes you go into Edit/View details, then put anything you like in the 'current surname' box (like 'from London' etc) then I think you have to log back in again if my memory serves me right. If not, just come across to chat anyway and we'll help you to get it right. Mandy :)

Jean

Jean Report 16 Jul 2004 21:18

yes you can chage it if you go inti edit regards jean

Bob

Bob Report 16 Jul 2004 23:10

Sara Be proud of your name and don't change it. By the way... A search shows over a thousand Cocks in GR Bob

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 17 Jul 2004 00:01

Sara, I agree with Bob, you should be proud of your name. If other people have a problem with it, it is their problem and not yours! Maggy

Jen

Jen Report 17 Jul 2004 00:07

i use chat and i will take you surname as it is. be proud of it if not edit as mandy tells you

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 17 Jul 2004 23:31

I changed my real name to a pseudonym when I realised that salesmen and others could identify me and contact me direct by telephone. Its easy enough as has already been said. Click on "Edit/view Details" in top box on the left of the screen, delete your real name and substitute a fictictious one. Len

Ernest

Ernest Report 18 Jul 2004 00:01

Sara there is nothing wrong with the name COCK that is only peoples minds that make it sound vulgar to you. and because you have heard others use that word out of context. Cock is an abreiviation of the word Cockeral or it is an instrument used to isolate one part of a system from another i e a Stopcock. An English name of Norman extraction. So why change it, wear it with Pride and tell anyone who pokes fun that you can be as cocky as you need to be. Cheers Ernest xx PS how would you feel if you lived in the village of Little Shittem. I think it is in deepest Somerset.