General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My 15 yr old son wants to go camping!!!! Update!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 18 Jul 2004 11:28

My son wants to go camping for a few nights with his friends. Down at a secluded beach, maybe with girls maybe not! What if he gets drunk and goes for a midnight swim? What if they take drugs? What if he's cold? What if he needs me, cause the mobiles don't work there? What if they light a fire too near the tent? What if?????????? What am I going to do????

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 18 Jul 2004 11:36

Chill out for a minute Eileen. You know your son best, is he a mature 15 year old? what are his friends like are they sensible. Have a chat with other parents whose boys are going to get their opinions. You must weigh up all the pros and cons. When my eldest boy was 15 there was no way I would let him go, but my youngest boy who is 15 I would consider it seriously he is more mature at this age than my eldest was and depending on who he was going with I would probably let him go, thats not to say I would be worried sick, because I would and probably wouldn't sleep a wink all night. Sue

Debbi

Debbi Report 18 Jul 2004 11:38

You know the answer.......you have to let him go and trust in you that you have instilled right from wrong in him and trust that he will have the confidence to do the right thing if the chips are down. If you dont let him go, he will be angry and he'll will feel like you are treating him as a child and his mates will ridicule him. MAKE SOME RULES THOUGH......maybe he should know where the nearest phone box is in a emergency.If he knows where it is that'll make you feel better. Also sneak a few condoms in his bag before he gos(honestly its better to be sfae than sorry). Explain the dangers of too much drink. above all remeber you were young once and you lived through it.I bet your parents thought you would get up to stuff too!! there was drink and drugs around then, there are around now, and probably always will be.It is part of being a teenager to experiment, just make sure he experiments safely. I have been through this with my teenage daughter and she came through it all ok and is now nearly 18 and a good girl, with lots of friends, a fiancee and a baby on the way. Is this ok? I hope so, as a teeneager myself I wasnt allowed to do anything and to be honest when I left home I did everything to the max and lived to regret it.I should have been allowed to do things as part of my growing up.Its a natural process. There enough said I think, from someone who has been on both sides I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK Debbi xxx

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 18 Jul 2004 11:52

Hi Eileen I agree with what everyone else says. I would tend to let him go, after you have had a wee chat with him about all your concerns. Beleive me you'd still worry wether he's 15 or 20, it's what we do! Lol. I think he'll appreciate the fact that you trusted him enough to let him go. Take care Christine

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 18 Jul 2004 12:02

I have to agree Eileen that you should trust him and let him go. Just give him a few ground rules before he goes and try to make sure that he can get in contact with you in some way in case he needs to. The only reason that I would not let him go is if you really don't trust him to behave himself! Speaking from experience, I was brought up by a very strict father and wasn't allowed to do the same things as my friends, but I just went out and did them on the sly anyway! I tend to be a lot more easy going with my own two kids, grown up now, and they have never thrown it back in my face so far. Maggy

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 18 Jul 2004 12:59

Hi Eileen, At 15, he`s feeling his feet now, let him go,they`ll be memories for him, and you,at a later date. I`m afraid you`ll have to trust him,and I think he`ll respect that trust. Good luck. Baz.

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 18 Jul 2004 16:28

I have decided to let him go! I do trust him, he's a sensible boy, not sure about the friends though! lol My one great worry is that there is no phone box within about 3 to 4 miles of where they are going. Mobiles don't work. I'll probably not sleep a wink worrying the whole time. He is so looking forward to it. Just hope it rains and they don't go!!! Thanks to everyone for the advice offered. It's only 2 nights. What could possibly happen???? I'm away for a valium.

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 20 Jul 2004 11:42

Well he's home! Left yesterday at 3pm and home this morning at 11.30 am! Cold, wet, hungry, dirty, tired but full of talk on how brilliant it all was. Thank God, I can sleep now! BUT!!! He wants to do it all again next week!!! Better stock up on the valium now!!!!!