General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

washing machine--the inside bits

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 20 Jul 2004 06:01

Iv given the soap drawer and damn good cleaning but my washine machine still smells funny inside, Iv also ran it on a 90 degree wash with nothing in to try and freshen it up, Any tips anyone?

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 20 Jul 2004 06:09

Sorry Claire Don't know a answer for this - but have you tried bicarbonate of soda in wash machine? Not a tried or tested answer. Somebody else will have a better answer. Liz

Angela

Angela Report 20 Jul 2004 06:44

Don't talk to me about washing machines. The inside of mine has started to smell, and now the damn thing won't do anything except spin. It started with the smell but I don't know what's wrong with it. All I know is I'm fed up of hand washing for a family of 4 on top of a full time job. There's no point buying a new one as we're moving to a house that has one already there. And there is no laundrette in miles. Have you checked to see if there is any water underneath the machine, or even round the outside of the drum? It might have started to leak and the smell might be dirty water gathering underneath or drying onto the drum if the leak is small. Drums do perforate when machines get older. Mine is starting to though that is not its main problem. Angela

Mags

Mags Report 20 Jul 2004 06:58

This may sound daft - but have you checked your drains? The water has got to go somewhere and when the machine is not in use perhaps you get a 'backdraft' - go and have a sniff. If your machine has a filter - is it clean? They're the only suggestions I can come up with - sorry. Hope you get it sorted soon!

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 20 Jul 2004 07:13

Angela I know how you feel,,my washer is like an iron lung,, I remember when i was a single parent and didnt have the money to buy a washer,,i did everything by hand,it was a nightmare, Mags,,brilliant !! Id forgotton about the filter thing,,i will have a go with that and see how if its works, Would washing soda do any good do you think..if i threw a load in and gave it a damn good doing on a high temp?

Theresa

Theresa Report 20 Jul 2004 07:43

HI CLARE , DOES YOUR MACHINE SPIN THE WASHING OUT PROPERLY ? IF NOT YOUR BELT COULD BE ON ITS WAY OUT .THE MACHINE WILL NOT PUMP OUT ALL OF THE WATER THEREFORE ALWAYS LEAVING A SMALL BIT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE DRUM , HENCE THE SMELL .

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 20 Jul 2004 09:26

Hey Sherlock!! What does the smell, smell like??? is it a dirty water smell a machine type smell or other?? A machine type smell could mean the belt is loose and slipping and that produces a burning type smell. Saying that after we'd had some building work done we had an awful smell for a while and it was a dead mouse in the back of the tumble dryer! Sorry to put that one on you sincerely hope it isn't that Janie

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2004 10:18

Claire I'd check for leaks as dirty water stinks. Then I'd be inclined to rub a half-lemon around the drum before giving it a rinse. I've had a domestic appliance problem too. The other night husband was out, dishwasher was on. I was in the lounge and asked my son to make me a cup of tea. He went into the kitchen and then shouted "there's a fire!" Of course I rushed in and saw smoke coming out of the machine. Turned it off, waited a second, and opened it. Somehow (not sure how) the bottom of the cutlery holder had got stuck on the element and melted. When everything had cooled down I found a knife which had a plastic handle (didn't have it anymore) which son had put into dishwasher without realising. No sign of the handle. Bottom of cutlery holder had turned into string. Also, little wheels the bottom shelf runs on had also melted and reformed so they don't run. Checking on the internet and it would work out almost as cheap to replace dishwasher as buy new shelf. So I am not going to bother. It will go in if I lift and push. Also will probably buy ordinary cutlery holder as replacement is also silly amount. H.

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 20 Jul 2004 12:11

You lot are fab,, I shall try all the things you have suggested and hopefully it will sort it out, It smells like rotton eggs actually inside the drum,

Pat

Pat Report 20 Jul 2004 12:24

Hi Liz, try running it on hottest cycle with a cup a cup of vinegar added, that deoderises the drum and hoses. That works for me. Good Luck. Pat in Australia.

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 Jul 2004 13:50

Claire , Sorry to hear about your smell, but my washing machine is just not working ,think i have a timer problem washine was just going round and round and not gong any where didnt think anything of it till i thought that machine been running a long time three hours later it had not finished See what the man says tomorrow Margaret

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 20 Jul 2004 14:20

There must be a tip from 'how clean is your house'?? Funny but I was only wondering about this exact same question this morning myself! Maz. XX

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 21 Jul 2004 00:20

I wonder if my inside bits will be black and smell of rotten eggs when I go coz I've definately got a case of burn out. Sorry I digress hope you solve your problem Janie

Josephine in OZ.

Josephine in OZ. Report 26 Jul 2004 10:11

Try adding a cup of white vinegar to your machine but only half fill the machine with water and let it swish around for a while I've tried this with the dish washer and it works, hope it helps. not sure if you will need more vinegar than a cup, try it anyway.

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 26 Jul 2004 10:22

The problem has been solved,, Following the excellent suggestion of checking the filter ( Id forgotton the machine had one,),, when i tried to unscrew it found it was done-up too tight,so had to wait for hubby to come home at the weekend,,,low and behold the thing was full up with slime and fluffy bits, After a good clean out everything is now fragrant again, Thanks to everyone for your good hints help and suggestions

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jul 2004 12:29

Claire I do like a happy ending! I had to call out the repair man once as my machine hose was blocked. The embarrassment when amongst all the gunge that came out was...a breast pad (fervently hoped he wouldn't recognise it!)... and the grotty remains of nappy padding - I'd obviously chucked a pair of toddler trousers in machine with nappy still inside. lol Talking of which, I remember having the fridge repair man round to do some repair work. Tried to engage toddler's attention by putting on Thos the Tank engine video. Undeterred, and feeling the man would probably like some entertaining and witty chat, my toddler went to the safety gate at the kitchen entrance and said "My brother [baby] does runny yellow poos but mine are big and brown" I said with a smile to the man "Do you have any children?" hoping he would grin in comradely parentship at me. "No" he said humourlessly. "And I don't intend to!" Helen

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 26 Jul 2004 20:19

Oh Helen,lol,,,,kids are priceless arent they, I cant even begin to thik how many mine have made me red-faced. Latest one was my 6 year old grandson in Asda with his mum. Loading shopping onto the conveyer belt,he watched the check-out lady scan each item until she got to the cat food, He said to her with a very very serious face...'d'you know,,my mum makes me have this every night for my tea'My poor daughter didnt know what to say, How come we alway look guilty even when we're not,,?

Abigail

Abigail Report 26 Jul 2004 22:57

Glad you've got it sorted out - I do at least two loads a day and I only have one age 5 and one age 2? Thinking back though my mother used to make us tread the washing in the bath, when it was on the blink or there were electricity cuts. I say make but we used to really enjoy it! Perhaps you should pretend to your four that it has not been mended and see what they think - after all in the holidays what else have they to do! Abigail

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 27 Jul 2004 21:54

i had trouble with my washing machine and i had one week left of 5yrs warranty(hehe)The man said whats the matter i said when it spins it sounds like a bricks inside(i had to wait 10days for him to come out) He said your supports what hold the drum inplace were rotted he said i dont know why they make them in plastic but let me give you some advice.Most people use a 40 wash and powder does not always melt every 4 weeks use a 60 degree so i put my towels on that wash like he said