General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birthday Cards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jul 2004 11:38

I've just had a birthday and I got some lovely cards. Not only did people get me appropriate cards for me but they also took so much time choosing a card and thinking about me in the first place. So what do I do with them? They are too nice to just throw away. but if I save them they will just go into a cupboard and get forgotten until I get round to having a sort out. I am a hoarder though! What do other people do with them? I do have some which my Mother & Mother in law recieved. Such nice reminders of happy times in their lives. Jane

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Jul 2004 11:54

Jane i am the worlds worst horder I have cards of all sorts going back to when i first met my husband and that was in 1965 also have cards that my dear mum had that she had recived when she was alive so if you have the room keep them they are a lovely reminder of days gone by Margaret

Trish

Trish Report 21 Jul 2004 12:00

Hi Jane, how about making a collage of them and putting them on your dressing table, then place a piece of glass over them.

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 Jul 2004 12:13

hi jane i have a memory box, where i keep special cards, school reports and poictures etc from the kids. Every so often i sit with a glass of wine and go through them, it brings back all the good times lol sandra

Winifred

Winifred Report 21 Jul 2004 12:17

Jane - I am a terrible hoarder too. Why not pick out the best, get some nice frames and hang them on the wall.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jul 2004 14:20

I am a BIG hoarder. I am married to one too so at least that helps. Or not maybe! I have the cards I got when my twins were born nearly 30 years ago in a scrap book. I also have a huge box full of old birthday/Christams cards. And the memory box. Yes I have a huge one of those. I really need another one. Isn't it lovely to sit on a cold wet afternoon looking through everything and remembering? I just wish my ancestors had kept something similar and that it had survived! Although I wouldn't have had the memories they had of the things in it it may have given me an insight into them. About the only thing I did throw away were things ex boyfriends had given me. I didn't think it right to bring them when I moved in with my now husband. Jane

syljo

syljo Report 21 Jul 2004 14:51

I am also a hoarder. I have postcards I sent to my mother in 1952 when on a cycling holiday in Germany. My mother has been gone some 20 years now. Sylvia