General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have I Won a Prize?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fairy

Fairy Report 22 Jul 2004 20:43

Has any one had those bits of paper that you find inside a magazine and when you open it tells you that you have won a prize. I found one in my Candis mag telling me I had won a great prize. It's either a BMW, TV, DVD thingy, £22.000 and all sorts of lovely things and it says it's guaranteed that I've got one of them. All I have to do is phone a number and the call will last 6.55 minutes at £1.50 per minute. What I wanted to know has anyone on here ever actually won anything?

Trish

Trish Report 22 Jul 2004 20:49

It's a total con - don't know anybody who has ever won on these. But I do know some people who have big phone bills because of them

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 22 Jul 2004 20:54

From what I hear, it's a total con to get you to spend money phoning up the number they give you. You might get something, but it probably would be worth less than the amount of money you have spent on the call. Leave well alone. Keep your money in your purse. Eileen

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 22 Jul 2004 20:57

Hi Joan EVERY time you get one of these in mags it says you've won. I agree...a complete rip off. Please don't waste your money. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Jul 2004 20:58

sorry to say its a con,and the government should put an end to these scams,but their too busy with their own little scam called..council tax.. bryan.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 22 Jul 2004 21:05

I agree with Brian. I arrived home today to a message on my ansaphone saying someone in my household had entered a competition and we HAD won : An ipod Holiday DVD player Money The darn list was endless - it made it clear that we had won ALL of these prizes and not a maybe or one of them. Natrually there was a number to call costing £1.50 a min for 6 mins. We NEVER enter compo's - we're no good at them ever - so it's a big fat fib and huge insult to our intellect and what a shame I wasn't in to let her read her 'script' and then ask to speak to the supervisor and let rip!! Cheek Much happiness Debi ( who really wants an ipod but wont call a premium number to a compo she hasn't entered - but so wants an ipod ) LOL

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Jul 2004 21:24

I have won the following prizes in my 48 years on earth: Raffles: a set of tumblers a teddy bear pot plant various bottles of wine Competitions: chocolates (consolation prize for being last!) bottle of Champagne (newspaper quiz) I have never won a car, house, luxury holiday etc etc. I don't know anyone who has either, nor anyone who has won anything on the lottery. Helen

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jul 2004 21:48

People do win on free draws, the sort you see in supermarkets and magazines but the phone in ones are a con. With free draws i have won a case of wine, a large fisher Price toy, a couple of books, skin care products, baking trays, car cleaning stuff, secateurs, Tickets for a horse show at Gatcomb park in the enclosure, a cocktail shaker. video on garden brickwork Nothing momentous but enough to keep me entering. BUT I WILL NEVER DO THE PHONE IN COMPS. Ann Glos

Fairy

Fairy Report 22 Jul 2004 21:57

Thank you all for the info. I do usually bin them, but I'm on a winning streak at the moment. Last Saturday I won a jig saw puzzle in the local scouts raffle. The week before that it was £10 on the lottery and the week before that another £10. I've never ever won anything bigger than that. Hey Ho. Jo.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 22 Jul 2004 22:22

I won a precious stone prize on one of these scratch cards but instead of ringing the number to find out I just filled in the back of the card and sent it off A few months later I received my stone it looked like something from out of the bottom of a fish tank Last week I did a scratch card and found that I had won a 4 nights break in this country but when I read it properly I found that it was a timeshare promotion offer so it went in the bin Bren

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Jul 2004 22:53

Yes you have won a prize and I can tell you what it probably is. A book of discount vouchers. £500 off a £2000 holiday etc.

badger

badger Report 23 Jul 2004 00:52

the only people to win on any of these competitions are the promoters, a complete rip off. and how on earth the telephone companies don,t do something to stop their customers being robbed blind is beyond me,wake up bt and all other telecommunication services.Fred.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 27 Jul 2004 00:41

I came home from work to find a recorded message telling me I had DEFINITELY won a big prize. I knew it was a con really, but it was raining, I was bored... I phoned,I listened to the hysterical bint for about 4 minutes, then she asked me to enter my mobile number, as I dont know it, I hung up. Got my phone bill today, that little bit of stupidity cost me £12.50!