General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

English Foods

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~*sylvia*~

~*sylvia*~ Report 23 Jul 2004 11:55

Hello to everyone in England. I live in Perth WA and have just found a little shop here that sells only English food and sweets. I bought some English Breakfast tea there today and some real Bourbon biscuits and it tasted so lovely, quite different from what we usually have. Australian tea is OK, but it was nice to have English for a change. Best wishes to all from Sylvia

Annabel

Annabel Report 23 Jul 2004 12:04

Hi Sylvia I also live in Perth tell me where is the shop I know about the one in Bentley and the great one in Armadale well worth a trip I always spent more than I intend ANN

Bob

Bob Report 23 Jul 2004 12:07

We have an english food shop in Berlin, too. It's called ExPats. Only problem is, it costs too much, so I don't go too often, but when I do, it has to McVities Plain Chocolate Digestive Biscuits !

Trish

Trish Report 23 Jul 2004 12:07

Can you get Birds custard powder or Bisto gravy generally in Aus? My aunt in the US always used to go back with a suitcaseful of the stuff when she visited England.

~*sylvia*~

~*sylvia*~ Report 24 Jul 2004 11:42

Hello Trish, Yes we can get both Bird's custard and Bisto here in Australia. Most supermarkets seem to stock them, in Western Australia anyway. Best wishes from Sylvia

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 24 Jul 2004 13:02

I frequently send my pal in Queensland Strawberry Sherberts and Lemon bon bons in return she send us MILO which we can't get here in the UK even though we do have other Nestle products : ( Much happiness Debi

Wendy Rita

Wendy Rita Report 24 Jul 2004 13:47

Hello Ann & Sylvia, I also live in Perth Rockingham & we now have a new ENGLISH Shop that sells everything from sweets to grocerys even washing powder, Germolene $5.95 tube. like you I go in the shop & come out with alot more than i went in for, my hubby thinks I am mad as he said I am paying for the name. Enjoy your shopping, Wendy Rita x

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 24 Jul 2004 14:46

Deborah I have seen Milo on sale in Fenwicks in Newcastle..

syljo

syljo Report 24 Jul 2004 14:50

I usually manage to get to England once a year and stock up on MAMADE, so that I can make my own marmalade. Last year I bought 10 tins. I went into a butchers in the north of England once and bought lots of packets of Sage and Onion stuffing, whereupon the butcher asked me "are you having a stuffing party". We have a biscuit company here who now make an ideal chocolate digestive biscuit and plain digestive. I wouldn't know the difference between the English one and the one here, so good they are. For those searching in England for German food, try a delicatessen shop, especially for sauerkraut. Sylvia