General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whos got an unusual job

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Flossie

Flossie Report 25 Jul 2004 10:19

Wondered if anyone out there had a really unusual job. Im a trolley dolly on Virgin Trains.

Jan

Jan Report 25 Jul 2004 10:24

Hi Gillian lovely weather were having in Eccles today!! I fit kids shoes people may think its unusual. _ _ _ -_-_- (-¬ Jan x

Flossie

Flossie Report 25 Jul 2004 10:36

Bad isnt it. Never mind Im off to work in a mo hope the weathers better on route to London. Where do you work? Is it local. Are you going to the Manchester meet on the 10th August?

Jan

Jan Report 25 Jul 2004 10:51

Hi Gillian At Trafford. I cant get the time off to go to manchester :( as its our busiest time in the whole year we aren't allowed time off mid Aug - 1st week Sept and I have just had a week off and am off nxt week too which I booked in January. Please will you let me know how it goes on if you go I MUST go to the next one. Hope weather is better in London Just come back from Torquay and weather is much warmer down there than here. Did you get your car back? Have a good day Jan x

Flossie

Flossie Report 25 Jul 2004 11:03

Yes got car back and havent done it again always have to think 1st though. Will let you know how it goes on the 10th. xx

SusieQ

SusieQ Report 26 Jul 2004 16:59

ermm, don't know if you would class this as a unusual job as such, but i use to be a Funeral Director.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 26 Jul 2004 17:10

hi Sue I still am an F/D it's not so usual is it? Jacqui

Geoff

Geoff Report 26 Jul 2004 17:28

A dying trade.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 26 Jul 2004 18:05

But not a dead-end job, and people are dying to meet us - heard them all - lol

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 27 Jul 2004 22:14

one of the worst jobs i did was to make doggie chews out of cows skin sometimes the nipples would still be on and the blokes would cut them off and throw them always at me haha ( 30 yrs ago and can still remember the smell)

chezzy

chezzy Report 27 Jul 2004 22:33

urgh sandra..gross.brave girl i couldnt yuk!!

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 27 Jul 2004 22:37

cherie worst of all my 27 jobs i kid you not

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 27 Jul 2004 22:42

hi gillian Yonks ago i was a PADDER in a tannery,padders job was padding the dye on the leather(full cow hide).after the leather had been padded it had to go through a drying oven then through the press,this process had to be done 3 times before the leather was inspected.the leather was used for boots for the army. sue

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 27 Jul 2004 22:46

susan thats were i made them doggy chews in a tannery ugh the smell of lime

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Jul 2004 23:02

I once had a job dying herrings in to kippers! Had another job putting the walnuts on walnut whips!