General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IN PRAISE OF WINE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 25 Jul 2004 16:37

If God forbade drinking would he have made wine so good? Cardinal Richelieu Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages. Louis Pasteur From wine what sudden friendship springs! John Gay A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine anon Who loves not wine women and song remains a fool his whole life long. Johann Heinrich Voss

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 25 Jul 2004 16:46

I would echo all of that Maureen - wine is my favourite tipple, cant stand spirits. Red is best (full bodied and fruity) with white a close second! Prefer French, however Spanish, Italian, Chilean, Australian, Hungarian, Bulgarian - any will do at a pinch. Jacqui

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 25 Jul 2004 16:48

Has to be white wine for me. As much as I like red, it gives me migrane - so tend to stay of it. Liz

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 25 Jul 2004 17:10

Someone gave me a bottle of wine for Christmas one year - from a good wine shop - lovely white wine called Jesuiten Garten. Lovely Stuff

Lynda

Lynda Report 25 Jul 2004 17:12

I prefer red to white, but.........any port in a storm!!

Fairy

Fairy Report 25 Jul 2004 17:52

Love it, just had two glasses, Hic!

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 25 Jul 2004 18:18

Australian Merlot - It's a must have staple diet for me : )

Lynda

Lynda Report 25 Jul 2004 18:22

Just enjoying a wee glass now!! think it's Vin De Co-op Lynda

syljo

syljo Report 25 Jul 2004 18:37

Maureen, You must have been reading my thoughts. I had been thinking of putting a thread in on wine. You beat me to it. I like a sweet wine, and not a sec. Actually there must be hundreds to chose from. I have usually a Graves Superieures with my dinner, but today we had a German red. If we listed all the names I wonder how many we could add up to?? Sylvia

Maureen

Maureen Report 25 Jul 2004 19:42

That was a bit of a cheat actually 'cause my fave tipple is gin with lemonade( Schweppes) and stacks of ice. I was just being clever 'cause I just got an old book of great Quotations given!!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 25 Jul 2004 19:46

Syliva - my favourite wine is L'eau Rouge de Safeways, followed by L'eau Blanc de Tesco but the cheapest and definitely the best place to buy wine in the UK is at the Co-op! Jacqui

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 25 Jul 2004 19:51

Any particular reason for being tea-total Linda? (apart from the little problem with wet knickers?) lol Jacqui

Maureen

Maureen Report 25 Jul 2004 19:58

Margaret, strange isn't it but I dont drink before seven either, probably then we can say truthfully "No I never drink during the day" or it might be 'cause the grandkids have gone home by then and I wont have to share!!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 25 Jul 2004 19:59

Very strange - if the sun is over the yard arm then it's ok to have one - when the sun is not out at all, then it's ok to have one for breakfast but not really advisable (lunch time is ok thought) - lol Jacqui

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 25 Jul 2004 22:22

Who said God forbade the drinking of wine ? The son of God certainly was not averse to it. Len

Maureen

Maureen Report 25 Jul 2004 23:30

Len, it wasn't me who said it .It was Cardinal Richleau.

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jul 2004 23:31

Reds - Merlot, cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, any Bordeaux whites - (does champagne count!) chardonnay, cava, semillon Also like a nice pre-prandial sherry (fortified wine) and if I have a sore throat, ginger wine is very soothing. It's also yummy on vanilla ice cream. I also like rose. I am fortunate in that my brother is a keen wine person and always buys me something good for a present.

Maureen

Maureen Report 26 Jul 2004 00:21

AFTER PUTTING THIS THREAD ON I HAD A STRESS WITH MY MOUSE FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS SO THE GIN AND LEMONADE STARTED CALLING ME! NOW I'M SITTING HERE A VERY CALM AND HAPPY WOMAN!!