General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue Lester

Sue Lester Report 26 Jul 2004 18:19

Have managed to locate a name that looks more and more promising as my birth father, but am not sure how I can make a contact. I obviously don't want to rock any boats, especially as I haven't got absolute proof that this name is my father. I know that my father remarried and had a new family (my mum and father were divorced), and his new family know nothing of his first marriage! They were very young, and I have no axe to grind, but it is not a subject that I can bring up with my mum! Anyone out there who has been in a similar position and can give me any ideas? I would be most grateful. I am 52 this year, and time is beginning to run out! I really do need to make a breakthrough.

Fairy

Fairy Report 26 Jul 2004 18:24

It's difficult, you never know how people are going to react. I think first of all you HAVE to make sure this person IS the right person before you can do anything. Then I would write a letter and go from there. Jo.

Philip

Philip Report 27 Jul 2004 10:03

Hello Susan Not an easy situation, and other people have been in it before, and have raised it on the website. Take it cautiously, and be clear of your facts first, if possible. You obviously appreciate the sensitivities (good on you!), so possibly a carefully worded letter to him in due course might be a safe way of proceeding. Good luck anyway! Philip