General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary May- Looking for her Grave (See I found Grave

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bridan

bridan Report 27 Jul 2004 18:48

We had travelled a long road in our search of Mary May. Through our research, the mists, which obscured our vision of the past had been removed and allowed us to view her life from her earliest days to the present. We had followed her trail along many paths and places and finally ended in Cannock where she had married and lived with her husband Ingram Clarke. In reports from local newspapers one thing stood out. They had shared so much together, having the same interests and charities at heart. On reading the report of her husband’s death in 1934, one could well imagine her great sadness at his loss. Many glowing reports of this generous and noble man of integrity filled the reports of his death, perhaps the most notable, the simple expression “He was trusted by all”. I cast my mind back to the day, two years earlier when we had, quite by chance come across Mary May’s journal. Had I known then how it would take over our lives, would I have pursued the quest for the “Royal Butter Maker”? Yes, yes yes, I was drawn to her like bees to the pollen, the first glimpse of her picture with those expressive eyes looking out at me had me hooked straight away and I knew hers was the road I must follow until I came to the end. A really glorious summers day found us once again in Cannock. We had learned, again from the newspaper reports of the last resting place of Ingram and thus, we assumed Mary’s resting place. The kind people of Cannock again helped us by giving us directions on how to find Hatherton churchyard. Our journey to this place took us along winding country lanes and beautiful countryside. I felt really sad and down as I could not help but picture Mary’s sadness as she made this sad journey all those years ago. I glanced at the bunch of flowers now wilting in the heat of the car. This was to be my final farewell to a lady who had taken over my life for the past two years, I was sad having to let go. Somehow, I knew I would never visit this place again. A small chapel stood by the entrance to the churchyard; it was set amongst open fields and cows grazed in the background making it a most peaceful setting. I remarked we should not have much trouble finding the grave, as it was not a huge cemetery, the older graves close to the entrance with some newer graves to the rear of the field. It was just such a peaceful spot, just the place I would have chosen myself for Mary. Aidan searched certain rows while I searched others. Headstones, weathered by years of rain and the elements were loath to give clues as to who lay beneath them. I started to panic, what if we could not find Mary’s grave!. A shout of “I found it” from Aidan sent me running to his side. We both stood looking down on the grave of Mr Ingram Clarke, his first wife and small son who had died aged 3 years. No mention of Mary, I timidly ventured she may be in a separate grave as she is the second wife. And so we searched the small churchyard, row by row, up and down but to no avail. We return to the grave of Mr. Clarke and place the now wilted flowers on top. We notice his mother and father; the founder of Clark’s department store is buried in the next grave. Disappointed, we return to sit in the car and are at a loss as to what to do next. While we found newspaper reports of Mr. Clark’s death and burial place we had never actually saw such a report for his wife, we just assumed she would be buried with him. I point out we have visited the graves of Mary’s parents and siblings in Penally, Wales but saw no mention of her there. Oh, Mary where are you? Please, please, do not be lost to me now, not before I can say my final farewell to you. Bridget x

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 27 Jul 2004 18:55

Bridget, I know your patience will be rewarded, you will one day find a snippet of information that will lead you to her, probably when you are not looking, if you know what I mean. Sue

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 27 Jul 2004 18:59

Bridget What a dissapointment for you. As the husband died in 1934 do you know the address they were living at. Perhaps some neighbour may know where Mary moved to. With all the charity work they did for the town/townsfolk you would think that there would be some mention. Do you know the date she died? Maybe a look up on 1837 online would give the place. If you need a look up I have some credits left. Good hunting Pat

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jul 2004 20:00

hi bridget, another lovely written piece,i do hope one day you will find where she rests. until then she is safe in your heart sandra

bridan

bridan Report 28 Jul 2004 22:31

F.A.O. Patrica Harper, Hi Patrica, Thanks for the kind offer, you are a star. The above entry by me was part i of two messages. If you look on the message board you will see the second half entitled "I Have Found Mary May's Grave. You are really kind to have offered to help, thanks a million Bridget x