General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Haven, Yately, 1964

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 28 Jul 2004 15:41

I am trying to trace the birth mothers I met when I had my daughter. We were all very young and had been pressured into giving our babies up for adoption. We had to look after the babies ourselves for 6 weeks and then sign them away and told to go away and forget it ever happened - as if !!!! I am fortunate in having been able to trace my daughter who now has 3 little ones of her own. She does not bear any grudges which is great and and we don't live in each others pockets, we write a few times and a year and have the odd phone call, it's better for her this way as her adoptive mother was very upset when I came on the scene although she understood where I was coming from when I needed to know how my daughter was. I just wondered if any of my fellow birth mothers from that time had any stories to tell. Thanks for listening.

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jul 2004 15:50

I was a young single mother in 1975. Thankfully things were beginning to change and I kept my twin daughters. I lived at home for a year and half and had the support of my parents - I would never have managed without. I could not begin to imagine what it must be like to have your baby taken away. I know times have changed so much. Even then there were a few people who made nasty comments. Thankfully most gave me support of some kind. My own daughter was a sinlge Mum in 1994 and it was seen as nothing. Obviously she got support from myself having been in the same situaiton but I certainly saw how attitudes had changed. I was so glad to read that you found your daughter though. So many woman seem to look and look and never get anywhere. And I bet there are many others looking for their birth parents who also never get anywhere. My heart goes out to them all. Jane

Sandra

Sandra Report 28 Jul 2004 17:00

hi julie i feel for anyone that has has to give up their kids for any reason, i'm so pleased you found your daughter and have a relationship with her. Thank goodness that times have changed and we are more open about these things. It wasn't until i started tracing family history that i realised just how many of my rellies had to get married, i got caught out and had my 1st at 16 we married and later divorced. i do hope you find some of the birth mothers that you met and i hope some of their stories have a happy ending too. take care sandra