General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Local history

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jul 2004 15:43

There was a pice on radio 4's you & your programme yesterday about an old school house in Southport where I live. It was really interesting. Anyone who would like a listen can by going to the web site at www(.)bbc(.)co(.)uk/radio4/youandyours Just leave the brackets out. I wish I lived somewhere with such a fascinating history. Our house was built mid 1970's so no history to find! Jane

Ann

Ann Report 28 Jul 2004 16:25

I love this kind of programme!!. I am always wondering about the previous occupants of our house (built 1939) I think it is probably an extension of my interest in family history.

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jul 2004 18:00

Have you tried electoral registers or local directories of your town to find who lived in the house? I know they only tell you the names though so I have no idea how you would find out more about the actual people. In fact I bet it's easier the further back you go when there were more records available like census. Did you listen to the programme? Our FHS visited the house last year and it is wonderful. I would love to live there. There is a lovely position in the window of the tower. And a nice comfy chair to sit and watch the world go by. Jean who owns the house shows groups around, provides a comentary, coffee and home made cake. All she asks is donations towards a kidney dialysis unit.

syljo

syljo Report 28 Jul 2004 18:04

The house where I was born in London was built around 1930 and I was actually born in that house and lived there until I was married in 1956.