General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Oil

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Jul 2004 08:48

Hubby came home last night with patches of oil on his white shirt didnt dare ask how it got there , but can someone tell me the best thing to use for getting the oil out. Many thanks Margaret

Joyce

Joyce Report 29 Jul 2004 09:06

Hi, Margaret, I think there's a "Stain Devil " on the market for oil stains but I don't know of any household thingy for doing the job. Hope you get the bosses shirt back to it's former brilliance. See ya Joyce

badger

badger Report 29 Jul 2004 09:06

If this is a good quality shirt Margaret i would take it to a cleaners ,they tend to have better cleaning fluids than the housewife,the added bonus being ,if they wreck the shirt you will be in line for compensation..the only thing i know of that would shift oil is Thawpit ,and i hav,nt seen it in years.Have a look at vinegar too you never know ,it cleans most things ,including linen.Fred.

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Jul 2004 09:11

Thanks for that Joyce was thinking of Ace that is for stains as well if it doesnt come out he will be minus one white shirt for work . Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Jul 2004 09:16

Fred i was thinking of trying the viniger three blobbs of oil on the sleeve and the back size of an apple so i have a feeling it may be a bin job. He best smile sweetley to his boss for a new one Margaret

Jan

Jan Report 29 Jul 2004 09:33

Fairy Liquid will often shift oil - but not always completely. Jan

Mags

Mags Report 29 Jul 2004 10:39

Let the patches soak in neat washing up liquid for a while - give it an hour say - then rub, rinse and launder as usual. Liquid washing soda is also very good at laundry stains - haven't tried it on oil though but it does get my greasy kitchen floor wonderfully clean - better than any other brand name floor cleaner I have used. Magsx

Barbara

Barbara Report 29 Jul 2004 15:51

Margaret, We live on a farm and my husband is ALWAYs coming with oil on work clothes. I usually use paint thinner before I wash them. You may Not want to use this on good clothes, but it works fine for work stuff. Barbara