General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Milk Bottle legs!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 29 Jul 2004 12:14

The top half of my body is a nice tan colour, but no matter what I try, my legs resemble milk bottles. I hate sunbeds so that's out of the question. Can anyone recommend a good way of faking it without it leaving me looking like i've been tangoed?

Janet

Janet Report 29 Jul 2004 12:24

I don't know if this should go on this post or on the things we can't buy anymore thread. There used to be a great product from Boots No 7 range. Barely There Stocking Cream. It was nothing like fake tans but just took the edge off the milk bottle look. Janet

Fairy

Fairy Report 29 Jul 2004 12:29

Shelia, I'm the same as you, tanned top, and whiter than white legs. I occasionly use fake tan, but put babyoil on FIRST. If you take your time putting on the tan it should'nt go streaky. I use Ambre Solaire fake tan and I've never had a problem. Jo.

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 29 Jul 2004 12:31

Thanks for the suggestions. Joanne, i've got some ambre solaire stuff so maybe im just not putting it on properly - it always looks orange on me. Failing that i could just wear trousers all the time lol

Mags

Mags Report 29 Jul 2004 12:32

Apparently duringWW2 when they couldn't get stockings ladies used to paint their legs with diluted potassium permanganate - don't think I'd like to try that one though! Magsx

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 29 Jul 2004 12:36

Sheila and Janet I think boots still do a similar thing but I think it's No.17 these days. It's the type that washes of with water so if you make a mess it's not a problem. If you are going to go for a permanent fake tan I've found that the best ones are the Gel ones and Clarins is the best of these. It is a bit expensive at £14 but is very hard to streak. You will need to exfoliate your legs beforehand paying special attention to knee and ankle areas. Even though you don't need to apply moisturiser before applying the Gel tans, I always put a bit on my knees and ankles. And of course shave your legs first Jeanette x.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 29 Jul 2004 12:38

Manda That's it! Skin Tint

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 29 Jul 2004 12:41

Jeanette, if im going out and wearing 3/4 jeans or trousers (think last time i wore a skirt was when i was about 16), I usually whack a bit sunshimmer on which is fine for night times but too sparkly for through the day. I will try taking a bit more time applying the fake stuff and it might work. Does anybody remember that Legs'n'Body stuff from the 80's. We all went round looking bright orange and thought we were looking great lol.

Janet

Janet Report 29 Jul 2004 12:49

I have just thought of the perfect solution for Milk Bottle legs - I use it every day. Trousers Janet

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 29 Jul 2004 12:49

Manda, i'm nearly sure i bought it from Boots but it was last year so i could be wrong. Only thing is its a bit dodgy if it rains.

Tracey

Tracey Report 29 Jul 2004 15:29

You could just go the the salon and have one of them 'spray on' tans done!! They're about 20 quid i think but i don't know how long it lasts for. Tracey

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 29 Jul 2004 15:49

Sheila - I have the same problem - what is it about legs?!!! I use a self-tanning cream from L'Occitane, it goes on quite easily if you've moisturised your legs! On me it goes quite a reddy-brown rather than orange, you may need to do it twice for a deep colour! Should be able to get it in department stores, or QVC.

Angela

Angela Report 29 Jul 2004 18:42

No sun tan is safe - a sun tan indicates damaged skin, even though it may look good. I don't worry about a tan at all. My skin is white but at the end of the day I am not storing up leathery skin, wrinkles, or skin cancer for later. A

badger

badger Report 29 Jul 2004 20:29

In aden all the new arrivals were called [moonies ],not because they kept dropping their strides ,but because they resembled the colour of a full moon compared to everyone else.we used to rub coconut oil into the skin and then go out to sunbathe ,it,s very effective and after the first half hour the slight smell goes away.fred.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 29 Jul 2004 23:18

Hi Sheila My favourite is St Tropez. It is best to put it on an hour before going to bed (so that it is thouroughly dry) because you need to shower the next morning for the true colour to come through (very natural). Don't panic when you put it on, as it is brown and can look very funny and patchy until you have showered. Best results though if you exfoliate and moisturise 10 minutes before application. Put a thin coat on first to check for depth of colour, you can always put another one on the next night if you want it darker. Cheers - Chrissie p.s. I understand Victoria Beckham uses it (though not sure if that is a good advert or not) LOL

Debbie

Debbie Report 29 Jul 2004 23:22

i use to use COTY SUNSHIMMER but i found it went on better if i mixed it with some body lotion

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 30 Jul 2004 10:07

Hi Jenny, we have 34" white legs in common then lol. I tried the shaving and moisturising bit before i applied the lotion last night, and they're not looking too bad. I only applied quite a small amount and it hasnt streaked or gone orange. I think i need to apply a bit more though to get them the same colour as the rest of me. Maybe that's the secret - to use the lotion sparingly but to keep topping it up every few days. I also rubbed them with a silky mitt thing before putting the lotion on so maybe that helped.