General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

being skint at the middle of the month!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 29 Jul 2004 15:25

are we the only ones to be absolutely skint at the middle of the month and hundreds of pounds overdrawn.it's so depressing.not that we spend the money on ourselves.we lose £700.00 in tax and insurance every month due to my husband being a middle class earner having to travell 150 miles every day just to earn a living.it's rip-off britain and it's getting harder and harder to live.i don't think we live we just survive.anyone else out there who has the same problem and are fed up to the back teeth of always living on the breadline.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 29 Jul 2004 15:34

lisa your not alone!! we too live day to day my husband is a qualified carpenter but earns a pittance! im a home carer,but i dont see any of my wages i pay the council tax,car insurance,tv licence,water rates etc etc. hubby pays the mortgage and food if only we had some spare money,but maybe one day lol i thought it would be easier when the kids left home but the bills have gone up,so we arent any better off susie

Trish

Trish Report 29 Jul 2004 15:38

We've just changed our gas and electric suppliers to cheaper ones. Also the telephone calls are now through someone else although we still have to pay BT for the line rental of course. And I just loathe paying the TV licence - about time that was abolished.

Mags

Mags Report 29 Jul 2004 23:33

I don't mean this the way that it is probably going to sound but, if your husband is paying £700 per month in tax and insurance he's obviously earning pretty good money - over £30,000 a year? Have you got a huge mortgage? - could you down size? Is his work in town and you live outside where property is cheaper or the other way round ? Is it possible for you to move to a cheaper area nearer his work to cut down on travelling time and expenses? Do you have a family? - are you sure you are claiming all the tax breaks and benefits due to you? Do you cook from scratch (much cheaper) or do you buy ready made meals? I'm trying to think of practical ways for you to cut down your outgoings to free up some of your income. I know how hard it can be - been there, done that etc. When our children were small I had housekeeping each Thursday, spent it on the Friday and had no more money until the following Thursday. I used to make a list of groceries, cost them and cross of anything that I couldn't have because I couldn't afford it. I wouldn't wish those times on anyone but we did get through it and my children were well fed and clothed. I'm sure things will work out for you too. Magsx

Daniel

Daniel Report 29 Jul 2004 23:42

You have to have ear protectors for when he laughs!

Mags

Mags Report 30 Jul 2004 06:29

Hi Jude- no I don't think I've ever watched one of his programmes - was it recently? - sort of rings a bell - perhaps I saw a trailer or something. Magsx

John

John Report 30 Jul 2004 07:37

Alvin Hall is often on Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 too.

Ann

Ann Report 30 Jul 2004 07:57

The problem is we have to pay out more and more in taxes, council tax, anything to do with the car... at the same time we are encouraged to spend spend spend and get into debt because it keeps the economy going- our pensions seem to be worth less and less- then the government has the cheek to say we are not saving enough for our old age.... well there is only so much money each of us has to spend- by the time we have paid out for the above there is nothing left for savings!!!

Lisa

Lisa Report 30 Jul 2004 16:46

mags you would not believe thati have one child live in a £130,000 house ,we go out once a month i work and earn £400.00 a month.we pay over a £1000.00 a year in council tax and on top of that we pay insurances so if anything did happen to me and my husband or the house then we are safe.i think the money that we earn and others is going into the goverments coffers.yes my husband does earn alot of money but he has worked hard to get to where he is today through university and numerous courses like many others and i feel that if your a middle or higher earner then your worse off than being on the dole and claiming for every benifit that you can.

Lisa

Lisa Report 30 Jul 2004 17:12

thanks for your reply jen.it is hard and people probebly think that i am just having a moan,but like i said it is a case of existing.

Mags

Mags Report 30 Jul 2004 18:42

Lisa - I DO understand - that was the point that I was trying to make - I have been there too - I was only offering suggestions that you could possibly consider to get you out of the depression that you are in now. It is difficult I know - and when hard earned cash disappears before your very eyes (and you seem to get very little out of it) anyone would feel angry. It will get better, honestly! - you've just got to hang on in there! Magsxx

Lisa

Lisa Report 30 Jul 2004 21:25

thanks mags for your reply.i'm sorry if i seemed to be a little offhand.time of the month.take care lisax