General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

School uniforms have you !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 29 Jul 2004 15:51

I was just wondering how many of you have bought or started buying new school uniforms for next term? I bought my eldest daughter hers 2 weeks before she broke up new blazer, blouses etc, and my youngest daughters same week as she broke up . Am i sad or wot ? Tracy

Tracey

Tracey Report 29 Jul 2004 16:12

Hi Tracy, No you're not!! I've started buying my daughters uniform too. You have to cos if you leave it to the last minute it costs a bleeding fortune!! Wouldn't mind but she's only going into year 3 at primary school LOL. They have to have a games kit as well as a PE kit - how daft is that? The difference is a blue top instead of white and they need a tracksuit, oh, and at the bottom of the letter she brought home from school it said: NB: Boys and girls going into year 3 would benefit from having football boots and shinpads!! Must think we're made of money LOL!! Tracey

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 29 Jul 2004 16:12

Not SAD Tracy just very wise . Leave it till the last minute and they are out of stock of all the sizes you require. Which can be so annoying if it's a school blazer you need and they can't get it till the second week of starting school!! Much happiness Debi

Anne

Anne Report 29 Jul 2004 16:13

I'm last minute, The day before they go back I'm out shopping like a lunatic. Once I forgot to get my daughter a skirt and had to go and buy it the day she started school, luckily it was a 10am start.

Jan

Jan Report 29 Jul 2004 16:18

No your not sad im off out for ours tomorow. Its so expensive though!especialy when they have the school emblem on everything you cant just get black shorts they have to have the emblem on it and polo shirts which cant be bleached as also school emblem on it (and it goes under a black sweatshirt) I cant even save them for my youngest as the school changes name next year what a joy. Jan x

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 29 Jul 2004 16:26

I know the cost of it is why i bought it early my eldest will be in her last 2 years when she goes back and the blazers change to black was a bit mad as she only got a new green one last year and still fits her ,still got next size up it fits me. It coast me £50 just for blazer and 4 blouses.Im not too bad with youngest as she wears pants all the time (bit of a tom boy) got her pants and polo shirts from asda realy cheap and she already has footy boots if they are needed as she plays alot of football she wont wear shoes for school so its trainers she has not been told off yet. THat will be next shoes for the eldest but it wont be cheap ones i see that now. tracy

Kate

Kate Report 29 Jul 2004 16:30

NO, for the first time in 16 years I don't have to do that anymore. Son is off to university and daughter is off to college. Mind you, it would be cheaper to just buy uniforms!!!!

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 29 Jul 2004 16:39

Hi kate I was just thinking that myself as i was reading your post would be cheaper for uniforms. I am dreading that bit when the eldest leaves school i will feel old and what will i do with the cost if she goes to uni or college as i can see a strong possibilty of uni as she is very bright. Tracy

Kate

Kate Report 29 Jul 2004 16:43

Hi Tracey - I'm a single mum with a very unsupported ex and a very bright son! You apply for full student loan, get his tuiton fees paid (cos I don't earn enough) - my theory is that loads of other youngsters have done it so I am sure we will manage.

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 29 Jul 2004 16:50

Hi kate I am also single mum with also with an ex who does not support his kids in any way, i have been wooried about my daughter going to uni as i dont want her to end up with a large debt at the end or for me to have to pay a large debt , dont mean to sound selfish but im just getting out of debt to which my ex left me with 8 years ago. Tracy

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 Jul 2004 17:00

I don't dare buy uniform until a week or so before the start of school - my daughter is only 9 but keeps having really big growth spurts! Her summer dress was too long when she started wearing it this year...2 months later it was like a mini-dress! And trousers are worse...I have to wait until the last minute, or risk buying at least one size bigger and hope. She's not even big...just very tall for her age.

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 29 Jul 2004 17:08

Hi sarah Im ok on size wise as youngest one is 8 in a couple of weeks she is a bit of a shrimp and still wears clothes 6-7. eldest one is a size 8 and up top she about my size Tracy

Jen

Jen Report 29 Jul 2004 17:45

tracey i brought mine when they broke up as we are going on a few day trips so will need money for them so wanted to make sure school uniforms was out the way as they are priority:-)

Angela

Angela Report 29 Jul 2004 18:09

Mine are growing fast so I daren't buy uniform till the last minute. They can grow out of a pair of trousers in 2 weeks, then not move for months. Daren't take the risk of getting stuff too early. Angela

Sue

Sue Report 29 Jul 2004 19:10

I don't have uniforms to buy for my kids now, just for my grandkids! Well I don't actually go and buy them, it's "Mum, this sweatshirt cost £X" or "She/he needs new shoes". It costs me more for my 4 grandchildren than it ever did for my own kids! Mind you my Mum helped out when my kids were small, so I'm just carrying on the family tradition! LOL Sue

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 29 Jul 2004 19:11

Another last minute person due to growth spurts! There are great prices now at Asda, Matalan, Woolies and Additions catalogue. I rely on at least one of them having stock left in the first week of September. I know that when mine go to secondary school and need 'official' blazers etc, the cost will go up, but bargains are there at the moment. Shoes are my biggest problem. My 8 year old has just gone into ladies size 3 - most of them have heels and platforms which she won't wear (thank goodness!), or are really clunky and heavy, so it means trawling round loads of shops and then being lucky. Maz. XX

Anne

Anne Report 29 Jul 2004 20:41

I bought my childrens blazers in marks and spencers when they had their sales, never paid more than £7.00, happily for me they always had the green ones and the black ones.

chezzy

chezzy Report 29 Jul 2004 21:20

hi tracy..nope i wish i had but just havent had the energy or best of moods to go shopping yet..wish i had your enthusiam!! im usually quite a prepared person who's done all my xmas stuff by june but slipping this year.xx