General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please on noisy dog!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 29 Jul 2004 16:11

Here's hoping someone can offer some sound advice on a neighbours dog. Charlie is a cocker spaniel and a VERY noisy one at that. In the short time I have been reading these comments he has barked on 7 different occassions. He barks and howls for ages before he either gets bored or he is finally dragged in. I don't really want to go and knock on their door as I'm likely to say something that I don't really mean. The lady has enough on her plate as her husband has dementia and has recently had a stroke....... but the barking is getting on my nerves. AAAhhh here he goes again!!! Julie

Fairy

Fairy Report 29 Jul 2004 16:38

I don't think there is a lot you can do unless you have a word with the person next door. It's probably a bit like having noisy kids, yours never makes as much noise as other peoples, so she may not even realise it annoys others so much. Jo.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 29 Jul 2004 17:03

Perhaps he's not getting enough exercise, if the owners are having domestic difficulties and cannot get out with him. Could you be a good neighbour and take him a walk? some exercise would tire him out no doubt. My friends have a cocker who is blind and he barks incessantly when left alone - something to do with missing their presence. If your neighbours think he is being a nuisance then they will surely do something about it, but if you dont say anything then they will think it's ok. My dog Toby can snore for England, and very loudly at that - I often think the neighbours will complain when he's outside having his siesta - it sounds like a Boeing coming into land! Jacqui

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 29 Jul 2004 17:04

Hi Julie You could always offer to WALK the dog for her. It could be as she has so much on her plate that the poor thing doesn't get exercised at all and this could tire him out. You could call it a neighbourly act. I know it's not to everyone's liking and perhaps not possible to do , but it's the friendliest idea : ) Much happiness Debi

Felicity

Felicity Report 29 Jul 2004 17:18

I agree that you need to say something, but understand your fear of saying something you don't mean in the heat of the moment. By the sound of things - dementia and stroke - this is an elderly couple and the lady is struggling. Perhaps you could pick a time when things have been quiet for a while, so you're not wound up and angry when you knock on the door, and begin by sympathising with her situation. If she feels that you are 'on her side' she probably won't respond negatively to your call. It's unlikely that she's deliberately trying to annoy you. :-) Also, if you practice what you want to say beforehand, having a 'script' will help, and if you are able to offer any help as others suggest, I'm sure that has the potential to be wonderful for all of you in the long run. I've had several sets of elderly neighbours in the past, and they turned into delightful friends. (Not quite 'elderly' myself yet!) Good luck. Will you let us know if and how you resolve things?