General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New house - payback time!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 29 Jul 2004 18:54

We had an offer accepted on a new house in March and have been packed ready to move for ages. But the sellers were taking their time - so much so that the first buyers for our current house pulled out, then the second, and we're now onto the third. After months of stress selling and reselling while waiting, last Friday the owners of the house we were buying changed their mind out of the blue and decided not to move after all. They didn't even have the grace to tell us to our faces. We and the kids were devastated. But on Monday, by chance a similar house came up - these houses don't come up too often so its a chance in a million - and by virtue of some quick work behind the scenes we were lucky enough to get it. Its similar to the house we were buying, cheaper, and only 4 doors away from the orginal house with the backgarden almost opposite it's front door! We are so, so relieved because we are desparate to move and really wanted that neighbourhood. We've a hankering to plant a hedge against the garden fence and train it into the shape of a V. But maybe that would be childish so I suspect we won't .. NB original house sellers now blacklisted by all local estate agents. A

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 29 Jul 2004 18:56

Go on DO IT !! I would LOL Hope it's a smooth move and that you'll be very happy in your new home. Much happiness Debi

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jul 2004 18:56

Angela, I'm do pleased for you. I've got my fingers crossed against any last minute hitches. I think the hedge is a good idea!

Ann

Ann Report 29 Jul 2004 18:58

Well done you, and you saved some money too. How will you cope with them as your neighbours? I would be so cross I would find it hard to be civil to them!!!

Bob

Bob Report 29 Jul 2004 18:58

Resist the temptation.... Bake them a cake instead. It is *always* a bad idea to fall out with neighbours.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 29 Jul 2004 19:00

Bob you sound like my hubby "Kill 'em with KINDNESS" lolololol

Angela

Angela Report 29 Jul 2004 19:05

The people we're buying off now think we're the perfect family for the neighbourhood -friendly, easy going, nice kids etc and I'm looking forward to fitting in so I think at the end of the day we're going to have to grit our teeth with the owners of the house who let us down. We're decent people at heart anyway, and don't usually bear grudges. It's just that we've had a very hard year all round (as some people on the site know, but I'm not going to talk about here) and this was the very last straw - I spent the weekend in tears when we lost the house we'd been banking on and which had been the goal that had helped us cope with other problems. My first thought on Friday was that I'd like to put a brick through their window but that was just a knee-jerk reaction. Our best revenge is getting a nice house nearby at a cheaper price, and being happy in it. I suppose they had their reasons anyway. It just would have been nice if they'd talked to us rather than letting us find out third hand. I would have taken the trouble to explain, and maybe sent a card or flowers. Angela

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jul 2004 19:59

If the original house fell through, it means that this house is the one for you. Hope you will be very happy in it and don't forget to write down all the details for the future historians in your family! Helen

Angela

Angela Report 29 Jul 2004 21:13

The house I'm buying isn't old enough for my ancestors to have lived in it, but I already know that in the 1800s they owned the land it's built on - they were farmers who owned and cultivate the land that my whole village is built on. So wherever I go in the village, I'm gong to be sitting on my history. And the house I have now and am selling is on a bit of land another set of ancestors owned. Yes, I am keeping records. Angela