General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elizabeth and William, a love story. Part 1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bridan

bridan Report 29 Jul 2004 22:54

Elizabeth And William, A Love Story Elizabeth Miskell was a small slight girl with a subdued and quiet manner. She possessed a rare delicate beauty with fine chiselled features topped with an abundance of thick dark hair. She was one of a large family, mainly brothers who were gifted carpenters. Even today, many years later, their work can still be seen in the parish church of the small village from which they hailed in Co. Galway, Ireland. Elizabeth Miskell was my husband Aidan’s grandmother. Not many miles away from her small village stood a large country manor house called St. Clerens .The Burke family had lived here for many years. This house was one of the “Grand” houses of Ireland and has been mentioned in many books, indeed, many years later, it was to become the home of John Houston the famous film director and his family. He (Mr. Houston) was later quoted as saying he spent the happiest days of his life there. Having visited the house during our research one can see why. The house stands in its own vast grounds. One reaches it through winding country lanes with beautiful countryside on both sides. I seem to recall we drove over a bridge just before we entered the drive. The house is really large, and not many yards from the front door runs a gushing stream with a bridge with access to the fields beyond. John Huston was later to describe fishing in the stream and enjoying hunting in the vast surrounding lands. This grand house is now a hotel. Now, the story goes, the people in the house were looking for a ladies companion and a man from Elizabeth’s village who already worked for the family recommended Elizabeth for the job. She was given an interview and must have made quite an impression as she was given the job. Elizabeth appeared to fit in well and indeed after some time became a much-loved member of the household travelling with them wherever they went. For a young girl, never having left her village, this must have opened a whole new world for her. We are not sure if the people who employed Elizabeth were “Army” people and thus, their reason for travelling. For whatever reason, she accompanied the family to Penally, Wales. The family may have been on holiday or stationed in the nearby army camp. On a bright summers day, Elizabeth, on her day off decided to go on the train into nearby Tenby. She was sat at Penally station awaiting her train when her attention was drawn to a young man leading a highly decorated horse and loaded wagon into the station yard. Reaching out to stroke the horse she is reported as saying “ Oh, what a beautiful animal” The young man replied, “ Never mind the horse! What about the man?” This was the start of the romance between Elizabeth and the handsome William Griffiths, brother of Mary May, a romance which would take them to distant shores and, for Elizabeth, heartbreak. The date we think,was 1884 Bridget x

Christine2

Christine2 Report 29 Jul 2004 23:02

I was thinking how I was going to miss the Mary May stories, but now I am waiting for the next episode of Elizabeth and William. There is going to be more, isn't there? Please. Chrissie

Mags

Mags Report 29 Jul 2004 23:08

How long before the next episode? Not too long I hope -what a lovely story. Magsx

Sandra

Sandra Report 30 Jul 2004 19:31

hi bridget i enjoyed mary may, and am looking forward to the saga on william and elizabeth sandra