General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Yellow Flashing Bell ?????????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jul 2004 08:44

Has anyone else got one , A little yellow flashing bell on their computer it is down at the bottom with my other icons never been there before , something is telling me dont open it When i right click it it tells me to Open message or Leave it when i put the mouse pointer on it it says Take advantage of the Hot Summer Sales , i dont realy want to see that flashing away all day Mmmmmmmmmm any thoughts anyone From a not sure what to do Margaret

Judy

Judy Report 30 Jul 2004 08:51

Margaret....if it's in the bottom right hand corner of your screen, with the other icons, it's a spyware program that's downloaded itself on your PC without your knowledge. The icon is showing because the program is running. In order to get rid of it you need to find and uninstall the program. Most of them download themselves into your programs folder...but not always. See the TIPS board, thread, "1 STOP ROUTINE PC MAINTENANCE" and download both ADAWARE and SPYWAREBLASTER. Instructions on both are on that thread. Take note of any .exe files that Adaware picks up as this will indicate where on your PC the spyware program is and will determine, to an extent, how to best remove it....Adaware finds and removes the junk that spyware puts on your PC but does not remove the spyware program that generates the junk.....the programs will have to be removed manually. SpywareBlaster will prevent future programs from downloading. Although at first spyware tends to just be annoying, left to accumulate on your PC can cause all kinds of problems and in some cases will prevent your PC from running. Judy PS.....Incredimail is just one of many programs that one downloads from the internet that will put spyware on your PC. Keep in mind, just about everything you download from a site, onto your PC, will add spyware. Personally, I would uninstall the Incredimail and look for other spyware programs that Incredimail has installed.

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jul 2004 08:53

Dawn Yes I have got Incredimail , Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jul 2004 08:57

Thanks Judy Will get in touch with the chap that does the maintenance on my computer its is on the right hand side at the bottom Margaret