General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you prepared for August 1st !...to help you th

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 30 Jul 2004 15:43

The TYKES will know what it is all about but for anyone who wants to be an honorary Tyke for the day see the lesson below..............

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 30 Jul 2004 15:43

Yorkshire/English Phrase Book Yorkshire is England’s largest county, so it’s not surprising that the Yorkshire dialect is the most colourful in the world. Yorkshire people, or Tykes as those born in God’s own county proudly call themselves, are always ready to accept suitable recruits, provided that they can talk proper! So for those of you who have purchased the right to be known as a Yorkshireman or woman for the day, here’s a handy guide to start you off. addle - earn, as in ‘ows t’e addle is brass?’ - what does he do for a living? allus - always appen - perhaps ax - ask aye - yes. Also, ‘oh aye’, when expressing doubt bahn - going, as in ‘Weer ta bahn?’ - where are you going? belt - to hit. Also twelt, thrash, flay, bray, thump, wallop or hammer best bib and tucker - best clothes, for a night on the town bevvied - drunk. Also druffen, kalied and sloshed bide - like, as in ‘ah can’t bide that lad’ - I don’t like that young man billio - doing something with gusto blue murder - big trouble, noise, as in ‘screaming blue murder’ blubberin - crying brass - money, as in ‘weer thers muck thers brass’ brat - noisy or unpleasant child, normally someone else’s buffit - stool butterfingers - someone bad at catching by gum! - My God! champion! - excellent! chuffed - very excited chunterer - grumbler clever clogs - know all coil oil - where coal is kept in the cellar courtin - going out with cracken - to boast daft - stupid, as in ‘as daft as a dormouse' delve - dig din - noise dollop - lump, piece eck! - damn! faffing - messing about fettle - work, as in ‘cum on lads get fettlin’ - everybody get working flaggin - getting tired flibertygibbet - chatterbox flummoxed - puzzled fowk - people, as in ‘thers nowt sae queer as fowk’ frame - shape up, as in ‘frame thissen’ fratchen - to argue gaffer - the boss ginnell - narrow passageway. Also snicket gobslotch - greedy person gormless - silly grand! - fantastic! h - not much used to start words with int - in the jiggered - exhausted lark - good fun lig - lie, as in ‘liggin in bed’ lug - ear loosing - ending, breaking up, as in ‘Church’s loosing’ - Church service is over and people are coming out manky - bad smelling, stale mardy - spoilt child mashing - brewing, of tea midden - outside toilet middlin - average mind - watch out for mucklather - sweat mun - must nesh - cold, or wimpish, as in ‘thas nesh, lad!’ nobbut - only nous - sense nowt - nothing owt - anything pawse - to kick pikelet - crumpet pop - lemonade. Also, ‘playing pop’ to tell someone off reet - right sgona - as in ‘Sgona rain’ sitha! - excuse me sithee! - goodbye or 'look at him/her/that!' slart - splash snicket - see ginnell summat - something, person of importance sup - to drink tarra - goodbye thissen - yourself topcoit - overcoat us - me, my or our usens - ourselves wark - ache watter - water, also known as ‘corporation pop’ yam - home, as in ‘Bide thisell at yam’ - stay at home yon - that there USEFUL PHRASES AND THEIR TRANSLATION A more jammy so and so ah nivver met - that person is inordinately lucky A reet ding dong - a big argument As 'appy as a pig in’t’trough - sublimely happy Ee’d eat t’oven if t’were buttered - he seems hungry Ee’s a face like a busted clog - he’s not Omar Sharif If is brains were dynamite they wouldn’t blow is cap off - he’s not very clever It’s breetnin up - the weather is improving Od thi osses! - wait a minute! Pop thi clogs - to die Put wood I’t’oil - please shut the door Shoo’s an awfu bletherskite - she’s a gossip Stop bezzlin, brussen guts - stop eating, greedy Thas as edgy as a crocodile in an andbag factory - you seem rather nervy Thas getten reyt bogbellied - you have put on weight Thi mam wants thi booits for loaf tins - you have big feet Tha can't swing a cat in a ginnell - you can’t do the impossible Wha arta bletherin abaht? - what on earth are you talking about Sprinkle liberally with ‘tha knows’, ‘by gum’ and ‘ah reckon’, plus the occasional ‘ells bells an buckets o blood’ and you’ll allus be welcome in’ Yorkshire! Finally, no guide to ‘Yorkshire-speak’ is complete without the Yorkshire Motto: "Ear all, see all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all, pay nowt. And if tha does owt fer nowt, allus do it for thissen. And finally, here’s to mi mother’s son, mi wife’s ‘usband and not forgettin’ missen."

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 30 Jul 2004 15:48

hey jan i dont reckon i would understand a word you were saying lol i have trouble understanding hubbys folks from nottingham so i wouldnt stand an earthly with you lmao mind you us bucks folks have been likened to carrot crunchers lol susie

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jul 2004 15:57

Scan the white rose graph!

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 30 Jul 2004 16:28

She I will fetch it to Manchester then it just needs stitching !!!! Jan xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jul 2004 17:03

Hallo I come from Surrey originally, which people often tell me is known as the stockbroker belt. Be that as it may, I have always thought that the tundra sets in somewhere north of Milton Keynes. I had no idea people LIVED there. The north is divided into Lancs - where they say "well I'll go to the foot of our stairs" York - where they say "Eee by goom" and "Ay oop" Newcassel - where nobody understands anything they say. Excuse me, I must go and see that the under parlour-maid has ironed the doilies. Helen

Daniel

Daniel Report 30 Jul 2004 17:06

In Merseyside, `Do ya know what a mean` is heard alot .But not so much, `calm down, calm down` as some of you may think.

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 30 Jul 2004 17:07

Manda I used to have a list like that but no idea what happened to it. Jan

Jane

Jane Report 30 Jul 2004 17:09

I'm a Yellow Belly by birth - from Lincoln that is - but a few of those words sound familiar to me. For instance mardy. My husband didn't know what i was on about the first time he heard me say that one. And I used to call everyone duck! Jane

Caz

Caz Report 30 Jul 2004 19:23

Now who wants a pronunciation lesson? This link will take you to a BBC Leeds Radio programme on Yorkshire dialect. Click onto ' Wha arta blethering abaht' http://www(.)bbc(.)co.uk/bradford/sense_of_place/sense_stories_intro(.)shtml (Remove brackets) Then, if you want a bit of a sing song 'On Ilkley Moor baht'at' (also in the Watch and Listen box) Carole

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 30 Jul 2004 22:06

Hey Up awr Jan summa them there sayins tha's getten in yur list tha's pinched fro t'Red Rose county Lankashire oert'other side ut moors Them in Saddleworth who think ther a cut above us are owding sum sort'a do at weekend for this ere white rose day us well ta ta gud neet lanky lass

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 1 Aug 2004 09:18

I am A Yorkshire Lass and proud of it, so just had to nudge this up for today Have a great YORKSHIRE DAY everyone, to all the Tykes and Honorary Tykes Jan