General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elizabeth and Williams love story Part 2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bridan

bridan Report 30 Jul 2004 17:38

To understand a little of William we need to know his background. One of eight children he came from a deeply religious family. His father, John Morgan Griffiths was one of the most progressive and practical farmers in Pembrokeshire and a respected member of The Welsh Land Commission. He (the father) had arrived in the village about 1858 with his new bride Anna. Acknowledged as a highly respected cattle breeder from whom many people sought, and were given free advice. He was also a well-known Temperance man. William’s father has been mentioned in several books and, it is written, “As a host at Penally Court he dispensed hospitality to all sorts and conditions of men with an unaffected and courteous charm of manner which was the natural outcome of his kind heart” At that time there was no chapel in the village of Penally where the family lived. It was his mother’s and father’s deepest wish that they could establish one. So profound were their beliefs that they used the barn of their farm to hold Sunday school, but through their hard work and efforts, a small Welsh Congregational chapel was later established in the village. The father worked hard and it appears expected the same kind of commitment from the sons who worked on the farm. It is known William also went on to study engineering. They had a contract to supply the nearby army camp with goods. William would load the horse and cart with supplies, then go to Penally station to put them on the train for the camp. The railway station was in view of the farmhouse. It was during one of these trips that he met Elizabeth. Unfortunately, during our research, we were not lucky enough to come up with as much information on William as we had on his sister Mary May. However, a bible, bearing his name, and now held by Aidan’s sister in Ireland bears the inscription, Oct 16th 1887. Presented by teachers and students of Penally Sunday school on the occasion of his leaving for Australia. The story passed down through the years informs us that when Elizabeth and William met it was love at first sight! I have asked myself many times, if this was the case, why, oh why did he choose to put so much distance between them? Did he find the restrictions of a deeply religious Welsh home a hardship? I think not, this was what he had known; he had been brought up in those beliefs and traditions. Elizabeth would have been an asset as a wife to any young man, not only was she beautiful; she was demure with a charming manner. What reason could anyone put forward to want to separate this couple that appeared so suited to each other? I thought long and hard about this and believe I came up with the answer. Sadly, I think what may have caused the problems was the issue of their respective religions. Taking into account the year, the strongly felt beliefs, then add to that a devout Irish Catholic and a deeply committed Welsh Congregationalist, it is my belief this caused a lot of trouble and heartbreak. Did one or both families oppose the union? One wonders, if the lovers were forced to part how did it affect them? Bear in mind William would only have to glance out of the window of his home to see Penally station, the place where they first met, a constant but heartbreaking reminder. Elizabeth, on the other hand, because of her commitment to her employers would seldom have days off and thus, no chance of seeing her beloved William. Even this was taken out of her hands when she had to return to Ireland with her mistress. In the year 1889 William the wanderer had returned home, he is recorded in the church attendance book for that year. Had they secretly corresponded? If so, they must have had help with this, as one could not imagine them receiving letters to their own homes, Elizabeth, maybe, to the manor house in Ireland but William? Again, a tormented and restless William decided to leave home, this time for America. To a young man, news of the Klondike and the gold rush would have been the stuff adventure books are made of. Did he foresee himself making a fortune? one that would enable him to send for his beloved Elizabeth? Bridget x v

Sandra

Sandra Report 30 Jul 2004 19:35

bridget beautifully written as always sandra