General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

strange surname help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

karen in the new forest

karen in the new forest Report 30 Jul 2004 21:19

please could someone help in telling me what the surname extence could possibly mean i have just found it on my husbands side and thought what is that or is it a spelling error but i have found others in dorset... karen

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 30 Jul 2004 21:29

karen sorry i have never heard that name b4

Susanne

Susanne Report 30 Jul 2004 21:40

Karen, You could try Leigh's thread on the tips board called 'First name and British surname lookups. I will nudge it up for you to see Sue:-)

karen in the new forest

karen in the new forest Report 30 Jul 2004 21:45

thanks for that sue will try it (B)karen

Sprack

Sprack Report 30 Jul 2004 23:45

hi karen I put the name extence into google and there seem to be a few people still around with that name, its not in my origins of english surnames book, there is only one name starting ex in there. jenny

Susanne

Susanne Report 31 Jul 2004 00:00

Karen, A quote from the Shaldon Village (Devon) web page: 'Many families in the village can trace their ancestors back over hundreds of years. The Mole's go back to the late 1700's, the Hook's nearly as far, the Extence's are known to have been in Shaldon in the mid 1800's '. The site has an email and it might be worth asking if any of the Extence's living there know anything about the origins of the name. Web address is http://web.ukonline.*co.*uk/extence/index.html remove the *s Sue:-)

karen in the new forest

karen in the new forest Report 31 Jul 2004 18:51

thanks jenny and sue,gives me something new to look at ,i thought extence were extinct. sorry daft joke. thanks karen