General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Calling all you DIY bods!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzy

Suzy Report 31 Jul 2004 17:39

We've got a varnished pine wardrobe and chest of drawers which we've had for yonks, but which are still in good condition. We are in the middle of re-decorating the childrens' rooms and I wondered if anyone has any ideas about tarting up the furniture and giving it a different look. I seem to remember seeing one of those DIY programmes when they stripped the pine with bleach (I think) and then gave it a watery paint effect. Are there any DIY enthusiasts out there who know if this is possible?

Sandra

Sandra Report 31 Jul 2004 17:51

hi suzy you can strip off the varnish, and then lime wax it, or use coloured emulison, and then stencil on it, and change the handles loads of different ones in b&q or homebase in hearts teddies etc good luck sandra i've just emulsioned a pine slatted bookshelf yellow and stenciled ballet shoes and ribbons on it for my grandaughters nursery at my house.

Suzy

Suzy Report 31 Jul 2004 17:57

Hello Sandra Your bookshelf sounds really delightful. I think the important thing is to strip off the varnish....do I use neat bleach? Also, I wanted to give them a kind of colourwash effect (they are for my eldest son's room, who is 10)....do I just add water to emulsion? Thank you for your reply.

Zoe

Zoe Report 31 Jul 2004 18:07

Suzy,, NO - don't use bleach on it!!!!!! Strip it by sanding it down with sand paper. Do it twice once with a coarse/hard paper and then again with fine sandpaper. Then wipe it down with white spirit to remove all trace of dust befor epainting. Zoe

Suzy

Suzy Report 31 Jul 2004 18:11

Thanks for the tip Zoe. I will give that a try....although that sounds like a job for the garden. LOL

Zoe

Zoe Report 31 Jul 2004 18:14

Suzy It is fairly messy - and I'd reccomend wearing a mask that covers your mouth and nose - and maybe even goggle - as the dust gets everywhere. It will be worth all the effort though I assure you - if you're not into elbow grease (its very achey on the arms) you can pick up fairly cheap sanders at homebase/b and q for about 15 quid - makes the whole process much quicker Zoe

Sandra

Sandra Report 31 Jul 2004 19:27

SUZY IF YOU WANT TO COLOURWASH, TAKE OFF THE VARNISH, MIX 1 PART WATER TO 2 PART PAINT, PAINT ONTO THE SURFACE AND WIPE WITH A DRY CLOTH BEFORE ITS DRY, IT'LL TAKE MOST THE PAINT OFF BUT WILL LIVE SOME OIN THE GRAIN, DO A SMALL BIT FIRST TO SEE IF YOU LIKE THE EFFECT SANDRA

Suzy

Suzy Report 31 Jul 2004 19:48

Thanks for the tip Sandra; and Zoe, I'm off to buy my mask in the morning.