General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just met a rellie!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 1 Aug 2004 19:27

Hiya!! Today we had a visitor. His grandfather and my great grandmother were brother and sister. Funnily enough he doesn't live that far from us (we have moved from Kent to Hampshire). I got in contact with his brother Graham through GC (someone told me the brothers and sisters of the cousin we knew about Don Bessant, who went out with Julie Christie). None of them have done a tree but I got to see the family bible!! This is the first family bible that is connected to me in any way! It seems to have come from my great great grandparents marriage in 1881. It gives me the birth date of my ggg grandfather in 1829, something that I've been trying to find for ages!!! Sadly no date for ggg grandmother who is proving more elusive to find. It was such a gorgeous bible, battered of course but really pretty. Wonder who's handwriting it was.... very nice! Chloe (very very happy)

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Aug 2004 19:28

Chloe - brilliant ;-) what a lovely way to spend the day.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 1 Aug 2004 19:55

I feel guilty though. I couldn't help but wish that he wasn't interested at all and gave my the bible! No such luck. hehe

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Aug 2004 20:30

hi chloe i am really pleased for you, it must have felt good to hold something so old, that has been handed down and treasured through the family happy hunting sandra ps i hope to be meeting a distant cousin through marriage in the near future so i will let you know how i get on

Kevin

Kevin Report 1 Aug 2004 21:58

I have just contacted a rellie. I looked for all the nNortons in Wiltshire and wrote them a letter. I sent nearly a dozen letters and have had 1 reply from my Grandfathers 2nd cousin. This chaps father and my great grandfather were cousins. So Therefore my 2 x great grandfather and this chaps grandfather were brothers.