General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

why is hampshire shortened to hants and not ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 1 Aug 2004 20:49

i wonder if anyone can help me answer this question that my 96 yr olg great uncle asked me.. why is hampshire shortened to hants and not hamps? Karen

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Aug 2004 20:51

and salop for shropshire????

John

John Report 1 Aug 2004 20:58

It's to do with Latin. I found this out on this site, but can't find the thread now! Why Dorset and not Dorchestershire?

syljo

syljo Report 1 Aug 2004 21:08

Don't forget Oxon for Oxfordshire and Middx for Middlesex

Geoff

Geoff Report 1 Aug 2004 21:18

There has been a thread on the Tips Board for the last day or two on the name of Hampshire - look down a page or two and you should find it.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Aug 2004 21:28

The Old English name for Hampshire was Hantescire. Oxon is derived from the Medieval Latin Oxoniensis. Salop comes from the Anglo-French name for Shrewsbury - Salopesberia - which in turn came from the Middle English/Old English Scrobbesbyrig. Richard

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 2 Aug 2004 18:38

thanks to everyone who answered, karen